Mesa Balancing Racing Engines Our cylinder heads From the Inside Out >

Mesa Balancing Racing Engines Our cylinder heads From the Inside Out

Notices

Mesa Balancing Racing Engines Our cylinder heads From the Inside Out

Old 09-25-2017, 11:04 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

LAZ - the only hardcoating I've I've had done appears black/grey. Is it the pic's ?

Also, I do not know why (either) manufacturers like AFR machine after hard coating. Kinda defeats the purpose. Canfield when around, was completely hardcoated.
It's nice to see you go thru the extra trouble to do this. Makes a huge difference.

Do you remove (or plug) the thread holes and the spark plug threads/ spark plug seats so you can ground the heads and thus spark plugs and etc ?

Last edited by SB; 09-25-2017 at 11:30 AM.
Old 09-25-2017, 11:27 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great thread Laz- thanks.

Lots of guys have equipment, but how many know how to use it?

Uncle Dave
Old 09-25-2017, 11:33 AM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Laz, thanks so much for allowing us to understand your process. It really is a big help to see the small and big details.
Old 09-25-2017, 02:19 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
LAZ - the only hardcoating I've I've had done appears black/grey. Is it the pic's ?

Also, I do not know why (either) manufacturers like AFR machine after hard coating. Kinda defeats the purpose. Canfield when around, was completely hardcoated.
It's nice to see you go thru the extra trouble to do this. Makes a huge difference.

Do you remove (or plug) the thread holes and the spark plug threads/ spark plug seats so you can ground the heads and thus spark plugs and etc ?
The hardcoat acid destroys everything but the aluminum . You can anodize the entire head threaded holes and all with no problems but yet it will eat the stainless helicoil inserts like candy. We want to sell the best product we can it's easy to look at what other guys are doing and fix the obvious such as anodize after the machining. Another point to look at the head gasket surface hardness compared to an un anodized head.
Old 09-25-2017, 02:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave
Great thread Laz- thanks.

Lots of guys have equipment, but how many know how to use it?

Uncle Dave
Uncle Dave you know common sense is not as common as people think if guys would stop look and listen before they do things sometimes the work can turn out as a quality piece for the customer. Thanks for your reply Laz
Old 09-25-2017, 02:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by NHGuy
Laz, thanks so much for allowing us to understand your process. It really is a big help to see the small and big details.
You know I really want guys to read these post so they can put their problems into perspective, I read so many threads here about guys with problems I really feel bad for because many of times these things can be avoided. I wish OSO members would read some of these things and ask their builders before they do the work for what they want specifically, instead of dropping the engines off to a shop and picking up what they are handed without having say in the builds. Thanks Laz
Old 09-25-2017, 04:27 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Originally Posted by SB

Originally Posted by MESABALANCING
The hardcoat acid destroys everything but the aluminum . You can anodize the entire head threaded holes and all with no problems but yet it will eat the stainless helicoil inserts like candy. We want to sell the best product we can it's easy to look at what other guys are doing and fix the obvious such as anodize after the machining. Another point to look at the head gasket surface hardness compared to an un anodized head.
I was speaking of electrically grounding.

Hardoating a surface makes the surface electrically dead.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:43 AM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Is the hard anodizing a process that can be done to a low hour set of fresh water aluminum heads or is the surface too contaminated?
Old 09-27-2017, 01:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by TylerBurich
Is the hard anodizing a process that can be done to a low hour set of fresh water aluminum heads or is the surface too contaminated?
You know I'm not an expert on the subject but I have had other parts that were anodized and corroded repaired and re anodized and held up . But a word of warning when you anodize the guides and threaded inserts need to be removed because the acid will destroy the material it does not harm the aluminum at all but it eats up the other components. What we are doing is a great deal of work but the customer receives what we consider to be the best product available. For a reference we just did two small block whipple motors that had a total of 40 hours and the cylinder heads had to be replaced I told the owner I wouldn't even consider welding them.
Old 09-27-2017, 02:04 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

so not only is it a manifold you prefer, you have the injector where in the airstream you want and pointed at the angle you want. as opposed to off the shelf stuff. which gets injectors installed wherever is easiest...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.