Checkmate quality and advise >

Checkmate quality and advise

Notices

Checkmate quality and advise

Old 09-13-2017, 12:21 PM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by SecondWind
Found some old pictures of our Checkmate, loved that boat!
Great friend of mine bought this boat from you and loves it. Gets a ton of use and is still spotless.

I had a 97 253 convincor that I built a ~700 HP 548 cubes motor for. Was a rock solid boat with excellent build quality for the price. It is a go-fast hull so it doesn't like going slow, which is where the porpoise happens. I usually cruised 40+ mph anyways so I didn't have an issue with it. A Hydromotive QIV prop did drastically reduce the speed range that boat would porpoise however. It is a pad bottom notch transom hull, it is meant to be driven! And a driver's boat it is.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:40 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deputydog
What would ride better in average water 1-2 chop....a 27 fountain or the 253 checkmate. I know the 253 is physically bigger because the fountain beak and platform....just curious on ride between to they are priced in same area I'm looking just hate small cabin on 27....the 29 fountain is out price range
the 27 Fountain is a good riding boat for its size but overall the 253 Check will feel bigger and have much more room in the cockpit while handling anything the Fountain would.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:30 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by deputydog
What would ride better in average water 1-2 chop....a 27 fountain or the 253 checkmate. I know the 253 is physically bigger because the fountain beak and platform....just curious on ride between to they are priced in same area I'm looking just hate small cabin on 27....the 29 fountain is out price range
I would go with the checkmate on the size alone...also think the 253 would have a edge in the rough