Like Tree3Likes

Can you compare 2000 353 Formula vs 33 Scarab AVS both with 575 SCi. please

Reply
Old 09-30-2017, 11:13 AM
  #11
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Thread Starter
Trade Score: (4)
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 297
Default

I did find with Tested Power2 x 470-hp MerCruiser 500 EFI :

THe Formula 353 wiill run 74.4 mph

The Scarab will run
454 MPI 71 mph~
502 MPI 76 mph
500 HP 82 mph

It is hard to believe that hull difference is 7 mph on boats that weigh within 200 lbs.

Thoughts.
600 DPX 92 mph
cyrus77 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 12:39 PM
  #12
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member
 
Griff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Omaha
My Boats: .......32............. ...............Active Thunder....
Posts: 15,656
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrus77 View Post
I did find with Tested Power2 x 470-hp MerCruiser 500 EFI :

THe Formula 353 wiill run 74.4 mph

The Scarab will run
454 MPI 71 mph~
502 MPI 76 mph
500 HP 82 mph

It is hard to believe that hull difference is 7 mph on boats that weigh within 200 lbs.

Thoughts.
600 DPX 92 mph
A 353 with 500EFI's will run 80mph. With the Stelling ext box option, they will run 82mph.
Another friend had a 33AVS with 502mpi's. It ran 76-77mph and then he added ext boxes and it ran 80.
VoodooRob likes this.
Griff is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 03:55 PM
  #13
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Trade Score: (4)
 
endeavour32's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicago, IL; Onekama, MI
My Boats: 1989 Formula 292 SR-1 (sold), Scarab 38 KAAMA
Posts: 3,235
Default

I am only going to comment on fit and finish of the two boats. I have owned 3 Formulas and now a 38 Scarab. There is ZERO comparability to the build quality of the Formula to the Scarab, Formula being superior. With that said the 38 Scarab that I bought, is one of my favorite boats ever made, so I'm willing to do whatever it takes to bring it up to the quality of a Formula or Cigarette for that matter. So if build quality is important, go with the Formula, but I've been told by many people that the bigger Scarabs are hard to beat when it comes to handling and speed. Like everything, it's always a compromise.
articfriends likes this.
endeavour32 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 11:09 PM
  #14
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Trade Score: (1)
 
articfriends's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Frankenmuth
My Boats: EX 99 MPH 272 Baja owner, 1999 Scarab 33 AVS NOW
Posts: 6,071
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrus77 View Post
I did find with Tested Power2 x 470-hp MerCruiser 500 EFI :

THe Formula 353 wiill run 74.4 mph

The Scarab will run
454 MPI 71 mph~
502 MPI 76 mph
500 HP 82 mph

It is hard to believe that hull difference is 7 mph on boats that weigh within 200 lbs.

Thoughts.
600 DPX 92 mph
That 82 mph 33avs/500 is with std 30 pitch props, about what mine runs w std 30s, i run 30 labbeds and see 84.5 gps or so heavy and 85 to 85.2 running light, stock 500efis w rev limiters turned up 100 rpms. Fwiw, smitty
articfriends is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 11:13 PM
  #15
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Trade Score: (1)
 
articfriends's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Frankenmuth
My Boats: EX 99 MPH 272 Baja owner, 1999 Scarab 33 AVS NOW
Posts: 6,071
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by endeavour32 View Post
I am only going to comment on fit and finish of the two boats. I have owned 3 Formulas and now a 38 Scarab. There is ZERO comparability to the build quality of the Formula to the Scarab, Formula being superior. With that said the 38 Scarab that I bought, is one of my favorite boats ever made, so I'm willing to do whatever it takes to bring it up to the quality of a Formula or Cigarette for that matter. So if build quality is important, go with the Formula, but I've been told by many people that the bigger Scarabs are hard to beat when it comes to handling and speed. Like everything, it's always a compromise.
Hated interior in my 33avs, sold power bolsters, had mech bolsters built, added drink holders to back of them, made back seat much wider, split engine hatches like a fountain, million times better! I think im going to tear out sink, toilet, cabinets, etc and make a large, comfortable bed in cabin next!
endeavour32 likes this.
articfriends is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:48 AM
  #16
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Trade Score: (4)
 
endeavour32's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicago, IL; Onekama, MI
My Boats: 1989 Formula 292 SR-1 (sold), Scarab 38 KAAMA
Posts: 3,235
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by articfriends View Post
Hated interior in my 33avs, sold power bolsters, had mech bolsters built, added drink holders to back of them, made back seat much wider, split engine hatches like a fountain, million times better! I think im going to tear out sink, toilet, cabinets, etc and make a large, comfortable bed in cabin next!
Mine has the side by side bolster. I have a set of power Mcleod power bolsters out of a '99 353 that will be going in the Scarab. I've got saddle tanks in my boat, which I am trying to decide to keep to remove. If I pull them, I will gain a TON of storage space, but then I will lose 130 gallons of fuel capacity. Right now, I'm really leaning on toward leaving them in.

AS to the OP question, it really looks like you need to decide as to what is more important to you? Speed, or build quality/features/comfort. One thing to remember, you can always improve the quality of things in the Scarab. With the Formula, you cannot really do anything to the hull design to make it faster, other than add more power.
endeavour32 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 07:39 PM
  #17
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Trade Score: (7)
 
getrdunn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NW Michigan
My Boats: 12 meter
Posts: 4,823
Default

Keep the saddle tanks. With those 1471's you'll wish you kept them unless your just cruising up the shoreline 10-15 miles. Plus I might need a life line cause I don't have them. Lol... Sr's came in handy big time.
getrdunn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:53 AM.


Copyright 2011 OffShoreOnly. All rights reserved.