Low oil pressure after landing hard

Notices

Low oil pressure after landing hard

Old 10-10-2017, 07:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
Did you check oil temps????

I'm thinking the oil bypass valve may have got jarred in the hard landing and oil is bypassing the cooler
Oil temp came up a little bit. But Im thinking it was because of the lack of oil flow and pressure. 20-25 degrees above normal. Thanks Griff
Old 10-10-2017, 07:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by getrdunn
I like your riding style. Thumbs up. btw you got some good advice already but before digging to deep throw a mechanical gauge on it even if you just tape it temporarily to top of back seat or where ever.
Thanks getrdunn: I thought I mentioned that at the very end. I ran the boat up to 4500 RPMs with a mechanical gauge and it read 2 PSI higher than the electric version.
Old 10-10-2017, 07:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MESABALANCING
One of the most common bad problems to have is a broken main cap were the bearing starts to turn and you'll loose press. I hope thats not it but it is very common. Cut the oil filter and check for debris . Good luck
Thanks MESABALANCING. I cut the filter (M1-302) open after doing the oil change the next day after the hard hit and it was clean as an oil filter could be.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by dereknkathy
Bearings all look good? Oil pump, pickup tube and every bypass valve. What you mebbe shoulda done before pulling engine is bypass the oil cooler.
Thanks dereknkathy: I could not drop the pan on my set-up with out pulling the motor first. It took 5 minutes to get the pan off after I got the pan off because of the baffles in the pan. No metal anywhere.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:07 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I wasn't saying drop pan in place. I was saying bypass oil cooler with a hose and run it to see if oil cooler could be problemo. When you get it back together, if same issue, do that next.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:03 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

All good suggestions. I'd add also look at oil pump mounting and see if that's cracked. Also look at any trays in oil pan,,,,oil cooler and filter lines.....bearings including main thrust,,,,etc,etc

Slight sidetrack but still on your engines and oil psi:

Before this incident happened...Anyone comfortable with 38psi at 3800 rpm ? Yeh, I know,,,,,rules of oil psi vs rpm this is just barely okay....but anyone else run this low ? IDK, maybe just me.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:06 AM
Registered

Received 700 Likes on 354 Posts

I'd be pulling the engines and looking at the bearings,,these engines should have 50-60psi of oil pressure.something is wrong.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:27 AM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts

Have you tried landing hard on the port side?

This is a tough one. I always tend to watch things closer after an incident, but it sounds like this might have been coming with only 38psi cruising and its a coincidence that it showed how far it would go after the hard landing. Good luck!
Old 10-11-2017, 08:50 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

As TX sez, I can't really see anything except maybe the oil cooler or a line being hurt enough to cause oil pressure drop. And even that is a reach. I don't know the oil system that well. Is psi read before or after cooler? If after, you may have had a restriction in the oil cooler both sides all along with that low an oil pressure.
​​​
Old 10-11-2017, 10:07 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

What oil pump and internal bypass spring? Did they weld the pickup on possibly weakening the spring? What bearing clearances? 38psi is low for up and running on plane

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.