36 Baja Outlaw 500 EFIs builds

Notices

36 Baja Outlaw 500 EFIs builds

Old 10-13-2017, 06:50 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 36 Baja Outlaw 500 EFIs builds

SO I have a 36 Baja with twin 500 EFI blue motors that at are at the end of there life cycle at 520 hrs. Both motors still run great other then both have a minor oil leak at the rear seals or pan gaskets. I am pulling both engines out of the boat and going to go through both of them. My question is should I go back to stock with the builds and just upgrade the cams to a 525 cam, or should I do stroke kits and make them both 540s. My fear is the heads and intakes are not going to flow enough to make the boat faster and Im not sure its worth the extra money. I already know I need to change out the throttle body's if I did go to 540 builds. I am also on a budget, and I am going to do most of the work my self except machine work. boat runs 72 MPH right now on GPS. I would like to see 75 or 78 after I'm done. 80 MPH is probably wishful thinking. The boat is equipped with bravo one drives just in case anyone wants that peace of the pie as well. Thank you guys for any help.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:10 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
540's will suck up a bunch of cash to do them right, don't go there if you're on a budget, to pick up 6-8 mph will be expensive with that hull,
Thank you for your reply
Old 10-13-2017, 07:52 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's going to depend on what you find when you open them up.

if everything's good or needs minor work.Then leave them stock and just change the normal wear items.But if you get into them and need a new crank along with cylinders bored then it might be worth the difference in price it to go to a 540.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:57 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Thank you
Old 10-13-2017, 08:17 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

You budget is the factor. The 540's will get you the performance you want even with the throttle valve and heads you have and if you upgrade those I believe you'll see even a bit more speed also keep in mind that tune needs to be checked on a Dyno with good data collection such as fuel flow exhaust temps and O2 readings before you put them back in the boat it may take something as simple as a bit more fuel press or a bit more complicated and you may need to retune the ecu. Which you should probably do even if you do a cam swap only as well. Best of luck keep us posted . Laz
Old 10-13-2017, 08:42 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Thank you for your input.

Last edited by Lou.Slater; 10-13-2017 at 09:09 AM.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:46 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,029 Likes on 1,347 Posts

where do you boat, what shop is doing the machining and heads
Old 10-13-2017, 09:01 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
where do you boat, what shop is doing the machining and heads
Not sure what machine shop I'm using. I live in Lansing mi, so I go to lake Michigan and lake st Clair.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:03 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Originally Posted by MESABALANCING
You budget is the factor. The 540's will get you the performance you want even with the throttle valve and heads you have and if you upgrade those I believe you'll see even a bit more speed also keep in mind that tune needs to be checked on a Dyno with good data collection such as fuel flow exhaust temps and O2 readings before you put them back in the boat it may take something as simple as a bit more fuel press or a bit more complicated and you may need to retune the ecu. Which you should probably do even if you do a cam swap only as well. Best of luck keep us posted . Laz
Thank you for your input, I planed on dyno time no matter what way I go. I don't like just a down load that someone else came up with even though it worked on other engines. I believe that every engine are different from each other and they should be dynoed to get the best performance and programming for each engine. Thank you
Old 10-13-2017, 09:05 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,029 Likes on 1,347 Posts

Smitty ( Articfriends ) on this board is up in your area and can tune the MEFI's on his dyno

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.