Top-mount Starter Making a Knocking Sound

Notices

Top-mount Starter Making a Knocking Sound

Old 10-24-2017, 08:24 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,237 Likes on 689 Posts
Default Top-mount Starter Making a Knocking Sound

The port engine's starter in my 311 is making a knocking noise when turning over. The engine starts fine with no issues, and is only noticeable at the first start of the day; after being run she takes half a revolution to start so the noise isn't there.

I hooked-up a remote switch to listen to what was going on, and it's definitely coming from the starter. I can feel it when holding onto the starter, but not through the bell housing. It doesn't appear to match any space on the balancer when watching the engine turn over.

I'm thinking something went bad inside the starter, but wanted to run it by the collective to see if anyone has experienced the same thing.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:46 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Unhook the ignition so it won't fire. Then crank it first thing. Probly backwards. Usually pre ignition will stop a motor while cranking when hot, not cold. But easy 2 minute check. Outdrive boat. Both motors the same. Easy starter swap to see if it is the starter or flywheel issue. Most likely needa a starter. Big old style 10MT delcos? Anybody can take them apart and check them out.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:46 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,237 Likes on 689 Posts

Yep, did that. I left the ignition off and used my remote start switch hooked to the battery and "start" terminals on the starter to turn it over. The engine never stops while cranking; it just makes this noise. Hit the key and every couple of seconds or so it makes a knock that I can feel on the starter itself. The starter is tight, and does not move. Once it cranks for a few seconds cold, starts right up, and the noise isn't heard again until the engine has gotten cold.

There was this issue where a mechanic screwed up the firing order before we bought it (we think to sabotage the sale). Perhaps the starter got hurt then? I've put over 70 hours on the boat since purchasing in February; the issue only raised its head this past weekend.

Easy enough to swap things out... yes, big starters! I'll have to go out there and swap them around.
Old 10-24-2017, 11:12 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have seen the nose of the starters brake before on the 14mt starters pull the starter and take a peek.
Old 10-24-2017, 02:33 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

As apache said, nose coulda cracked, but I would think you would see starter body moving when cranking. Bushing in the nose and end plate possible culprits. There is a bushing in the center plate but it does nothing. Pull the end plate, check brushes and check-grease bushing. Take armature out of the nose...Don't lose little washer-looking thing on end of armature. Check-grease that bushing. If anything really beat, find a starter-alt guy in town.