Silencing Options >

Silencing Options

Notices

Silencing Options

Old 11-13-2017, 03:05 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Silencing Options

I'm running dry pipes, and need to stay dry to handle to handle the cam. I've got GGB slip in competition mufflers on order - has anyone tried an exhaust crossover upstream of the GGB's to smooth out the flow and soften the bark a little?
Old 11-13-2017, 03:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GGB,s need water to work right .
Old 11-13-2017, 03:24 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I hear you - but I unfortunately won't be able to run any through them! The cam won't support it - so I'm open to any/all other options....
Old 11-13-2017, 05:45 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I have these. They work well at reducing the noise when closed.

1212 GAFFRIG SUPERFLO SERIES MUFFLER 4I.D. TAIL PIPE (1-PAIR) INCLUDES PUMP KIT
Old 11-14-2017, 05:38 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was having the same issue as you were with having to run dry pipes. The only thing I have found that will work is exactly what you ordered. They do a good job of taking the "bark" or "crackle" out of the dry exhaust.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:54 PM
Registered

Received 1,491 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I have these. They work well at reducing the noise when closed.

288-1212-gaffrig-superflo-series-muffler-4id-tail-pipe-1-pair-includes-pump-kit.html
i had two nice sets of those I regret selling. They were like new condition. In regards to OT what about gatlins. Endeavour32 ordered a couple sets for his SC engines. Some say their really quite and some say they still have a nice rumble but take the (annoying bark) out the bite. You could run you water dumps over the top of to help cool. NO hp loss.

Last edited by getrdunn; 11-14-2017 at 05:07 PM.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:34 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

The mufflers I have, that Getrdunn is referring too, are the Imco Gatlins. What size cam are you running? My engines have some pretty big cams, and the original owner was running the engines dry to tip with CMI sound advantage mufflers. I'm not a big fan of the sound advantage system on an engine with a large cam. I can see signs of slight reversion on the exhaust ports. I don't think it was bad, as the O2 sensor still function. Either way, I'm not running them (sound advantage), I want something that doesn't restrict the flow of water out the exhaust at idle.
Old 11-15-2017, 01:16 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a long conversation with Bob Teague about the muffler options for dry exhaust. The IMCO's, Gibson's and CMI's are all out. They all have internal parts that will burn up without water to cool them. Aquapower said theirs might work, but will most likely change color in a very short time. GBB were the only ones that were rated for dry, so I built my own slip-ons. They do work, but with dry exhaust, you will always be loud.
Old 11-15-2017, 01:58 PM
Registered

Loud is good... I'm really surprised those gatlins would burn out without water. I thought about designing and building some similar to the gatlins over the winter but will more than likely just get dirty looks from some and just smile. I'm not as much as a port hopper anymore and on lake mi within minutes so I'm not to concerned.

On the the flip side it's the coming in hot into home port after dark and a few beverages that bothers me. With that said what are you building? I did a bunch of experimenting years ago with a guy who use to build custom SS pipes, exh, and mufflers and at that time there wasn't but maybe one design that didn't scrape off top end rpm. At the time only running in the mid 70's it meant a lot.

Last edited by getrdunn; 11-15-2017 at 02:01 PM.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MadMat
I hear you - but I unfortunately won't be able to run any through them! The cam won't support it - so I'm open to any/all other options....
What cam you running? Is it a combination of overlap and Lsa. Post a video of that bad boy idling. Might just give me that extra boost to get up in the shop rather than out here in this awful weather deer hunting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.