Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
502 MPI Idle Issue... >

502 MPI Idle Issue...

Notices

502 MPI Idle Issue...

Old 01-28-2018, 07:26 PM
Registered

Received 700 Likes on 354 Posts

I'd throw a dart at this,,look at the distributor shaft,,see if it has excessive wear.also the pick up coil.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:26 PM
Registered

Received 110 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by ziemer
Worked on the motor again this weekend and had a DDT. Ran on both motors and didn't see anything glaringly different between the two. Fuel flow rates were varying between .77-.95 with injector pulses around 3.41 +/-. IAC readings were different between the 2, but my guess is the bad side is compensating for the weird idle pattern. MAP sensor readings were around 18 on both motors. Fuel pressure matched on both also. And the bad motor did not bleed down with the key off.

No codes in either. As soon as I pull the bad side up to 1000 rpms, it goes away completely. Back off to dead idle and it comes and goes.
The only feedback for diagnosis you are not gettting is AFR and what the injectors are actually doing. I know you have commanded BPW but that doesn't mean the injector is actually doing that. It is likely you have a stuck/bad injector. IAC's will dance all over the place trying to control the idle, so I believe your analysis on that front is correct. In other words the IAC is likely fine.

Idle conditions your describe on those particular motors are typically fuel related from my experience.
Old 04-28-2018, 12:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, what ever happened? What was the diagnoses and fix?
Old 05-01-2018, 07:23 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1
Old 06-18-2018, 11:46 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, finally got it fixed. Was the stupid coil. Ugh... Changed everything else on the motor, and finally ran it on the lake one day pretty hard until it finally quit. The coils on my boat take a beating because they sit right under the lip of the engine hatch, so they regularly get dowsed with water.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:15 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

COIL -- had that Indmar small block EFI as I mentioned in POST # 9 somewhat the same issue. Thought it over for an bit and yes the est coil fixed the surging / hunting idle. - maybe a a good read for some in post # 9. . Have to determine what side the issue(s) is on the fuel side or ignition .

Surprised you did not follow in the post # 9 first line of reply - " Coil and cap and rotor and plugs -- OHM test the spark plug wires "

Last edited by BUP; 06-18-2018 at 09:17 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:09 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
After the tune up, it still had a fluctuating idle - but seemed even worse than before. After thinking about it, I decided it prob was the est ignition coil. Yep the coil fixed the issue. Weak spark causing for the idle rpm issues plus the efi system / ecm compensating from the received inputs and basically trying to correctly compensate the signal outputs for engine running (for a short jist of an explanation )
Originally Posted by BUP
Surprised you did not follow in the post # 9 first line of reply - " Coil and cap and rotor and plugs -- OHM test the spark plug wires "
I know... Sometimes, the mind doesn't like to accept what's right in front of you. :P