Who for tail pipes these days

Notices

Who for tail pipes these days

Old 01-15-2018, 04:30 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 67 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Who for tail pipes these days

Happy New Year, looks like there's a strong possibility that I'll be replacing the dry tails in my café this spring when the motors are done. Who should I look to for a new set? Hardin, Stainless Marine, EMI? Who actually makes these for themselves as opposed to selling someone else's product? Hardin and CP are the same correct? Mine are an old set of Gils, looks to be produced in 2000 if I read the etching on the flange correct. I believe Hardin bought out Gil. Mine were strangely compromised at the tips/ looks like the swedges have opened up over time thus pushing more water out the tail @ the transom and less out the 3/4" bung midtail also affecting engine water pressure in terms of circulation, kind of a mess but fortunately not to a massive detriment besides having to buy new ones...
Attached Thumbnails Who for tail pipes these days-img_4565.jpg  

Last edited by Rhythm and Blues; 01-15-2018 at 04:38 AM.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:00 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

I would go with stainless marine, Jerry and his crew make them all in house and will make you custom pipes , if that's what u need.
Old 01-15-2018, 08:16 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by TomFTM
I would go with stainless marine, Jerry and his crew make them all in house and will make you custom pipes , if that's what u need.
Thanks Tom, they’ll do that 4 bolt flange type? Is Jerry the guy to talk to?
Old 01-15-2018, 09:34 PM
Registered

Received 790 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhythm and Blues
Thanks Tom, they’ll do that 4 bolt flange type? Is Jerry the guy to talk to?
go with stainless you won’t be disappointed...why do you want the 4 bolt flange? The SS marine are much nicer. They offer a clamped flange style that looks good and is adjustable left to right in case your measurements are a little off. My 0.02.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:44 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by 1MOSES1
go with stainless you won’t be disappointed...why do you want the 4 bolt flange? The SS marine are much nicer. They offer a clamped flange style that looks good and is adjustable left to right in case your measurements are a little off. My 0.02.
Ok, thats 2 with a thumbs up for SM. I dont need a full exhaust, only tails. I have cyclones which have the 4 bolt flange.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:56 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,038 Likes on 1,352 Posts

Class 6 on here makes custom tail pipes
Old 01-16-2018, 07:27 AM
Registered

Received 460 Likes on 244 Posts

^^^good call,
he welds pipe that has to meet certain requirements as part of his work, probably been welding since grade school
Old 01-16-2018, 08:01 AM
Registered

Here are ours:

Old 01-16-2018, 08:02 AM
Registered

Old 01-16-2018, 09:33 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhythm and Blues
Happy New Year, looks like there's a strong possibility that I'll be replacing the dry tails in my café this spring when the motors are done. Who should I look to for a new set? Hardin, Stainless Marine, EMI? Who actually makes these for themselves as opposed to selling someone else's product? Hardin and CP are the same correct? Mine are an old set of Gils, looks to be produced in 2000 if I read the etching on the flange correct. I believe Hardin bought out Gil. Mine were strangely compromised at the tips/ looks like the swedges have opened up over time thus pushing more water out the tail @ the transom and less out the 3/4" bung midtail also affecting engine water pressure in terms of circulation, kind of a mess but fortunately not to a massive detriment besides having to buy new ones...
I’m not quite sure understanding how the tails would lead to a water pressure issue? The water from the tails is exiting the boat it’s not being recirculated. The engine gets its water from the water pump (being picked up from outdrive, water pickup etc). I’m most certain the tails have nothing to do with a water pressure issue. Maybe one of the experts can chime in?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.