Raw Water / Fuel Lift Pump  Toast? >

Raw Water / Fuel Lift Pump Toast?

Notices

Raw Water / Fuel Lift Pump Toast?

Old 01-16-2018, 04:04 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by AllDodge
It should take a tad more then finger tips IF the impeller is in one piece, not hard though.
Note: there is a disk which rides on the cam lobe (item 17 and 18). It should turn easy with finger tips
Impeller is brand new Mercruiser lube with soap and just installed 2 days ago. I turned the raw water pump pulley with fingertips today after removing the mechanical fuel pump. Yesterday I couldn't budge it will two hands and the fuel pump installed.

Does that disk strike the fuel pump arm riding on the cam lobe? I didn't check to see if a disk was present, intact etc. Will do this weekend when I go back with the new fuel pump. Hope to hell it isn't the raw water pump.

Keith
Old 01-16-2018, 04:21 PM
Registered

Received 477 Likes on 372 Posts

The pump arm sits against the bearing (I have been calling it a disk). The bearing is round, and the cam lobe is on the inside. As the pulley turns it moves in/out against the bearing pushing the arm. The bearing is just a piece of metal which has lube between it and the cam inside.
I don't see the fuel pump arm keeping the pump from turning, even if the bearing was froze to the cam lobe. I'm thinking there is something wrong with the pump bearings and it was in a bind somehow.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by AllDodge
The pump arm sits against the bearing (I have been calling it a disk). The bearing is round, and the cam lobe is on the inside. As the pulley turns it moves in/out against the bearing pushing the arm. The bearing is just a piece of metal which has lube between it and the cam inside.
I don't see the fuel pump arm keeping the pump from turning, even if the bearing was froze to the cam lobe. I'm thinking there is something wrong with the pump bearings and it was in a bind somehow.
Well atleast the bearing is replaceable if it's the culprit. Found a local mechanic to rebuild for me if I bring the parts. I'll back into it this weekend.
Thanks all!

Keith
Old 01-22-2018, 09:45 AM
Registered

Looks like the RWP is fine, the eccentric doesn't feel any different than the good RWP one does when spinning by and and thumb pressing hard against it. I installed the new fuel pump and the entire assembly spins freely. I chalk it up the the mechanical fuel pump on the brink of failure. Great thing it caught it on the trailer rather than potentially costing me an engine!

I hope the new fuel pump also fixes my 1k rpm idle surge issue, but it's probably not that simple. Been chasing it over a year now.

Keith

Last edited by Tractionless; 01-22-2018 at 09:48 AM.