State of the Industry

Notices

State of the Industry

Old 02-18-2018, 01:01 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
Have no idea if this still needs to be quoted to show up.
No, it does not. That issue was fixed weeks ago.
Old 02-18-2018, 02:00 PM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by endeavour32
I just checked out their facebook page. I'm really happy Saber bought the Apache molds, this should really help their business. Now that Chief is in Spring Lake and Mitcher T close buy as well, there is a lot of local, top notch talent in the Greater Grand Rapids area. They should be able to gain some market share. Especially due to the fact there really isn't many companies catering to this market anymore.
The last 2 new boats that came out of Saber were painted by T&D Custom Painting. The new 41 will be painted by them also. Custom Marine Service in Grand Rapids is likely the best around the area.
Old 02-18-2018, 02:08 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

If you were to have told me 10 years ago that all that would be selling now is glammed out versions of either fish/ utility boats, pontoons and 1 dimensional water sport tow boats I would have said GTFO, fast forward 10 years and here we are....I look at these and none of them raise my pulse, no one seems to be after the adrenaline rush any more
Old 02-18-2018, 02:44 PM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by getrdunn
Didn't saber purchase Apaches molds long ago. .
Yes.
Old 02-18-2018, 07:40 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by JaayTeee
If you were to have told me 10 years ago that all that would be selling now is glammed out versions of either fish/ utility boats, pontoons and 1 dimensional water sport tow boats I would have said GTFO, fast forward 10 years and here we are....I look at these and none of them raise my pulse, no one seems to be after the adrenaline rush any more
I hear you about 12 years ago and back - loud go fasts seemed to be everyone wanted one. Some of it for alot of single guys was the chicks were attracted to this style of boat as well.

Things have changed currently chicks are all about Pontoon boats and wake boats these days. I even have women daily during summer time check in to see if I have any Pontoon boats for sale or were to buy one. Pontoon boats are on fire for inland sales.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:37 PM
Registered

Received 893 Likes on 320 Posts

yes well in 1970 we had hemi cuda's, LS6 chevelles, 429 boss mustangs and more. a few years later they were on used lots after being traded for vega's and pinto's. ten years later K-car chryslers were flying off the lots, then minivans. now suv's and pickups for soccer moms to get groceries. times change, like it or not, agree with it or not. I think some of it was self inflicted. non stop chasing after more power and speed got us to a point that it is all on the manufacturers radar but there is a point of no return. lots of buyers dont need or want to run 150 mph or want to spend the money for twenty steps on the bottom. used to be you could buy a 30-35 foot v bottom with 420's and trs drives without steps that would run all day at 60 in 4+ seas for reasonable money and it lasted for years. now you have to spend double the value of your house to buy something with bravos that need rebuilding every year and is ill handling in real offshore water. lots of guys finally said enough and decided to have fun on the water with out financing the weekend. you have to really look at the market size. even when times were good all the marine engine suppliers combined that used GM based engines (mercury, volvo, pleasurecraft, etc etc) only amounted to about 3% of the engines GM produced. that makes it tough to make money when the economies of scale are nonexistant. right now I think we are at a time when the devoted still want performance but the majority want fun and reliability. 10 years from now it could all be 18' bowriders or 50' magnums. who knows.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:40 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Saber has had the molds for years, nothing new... besides adding steps to the 41...if I recall Wiked Won is a 97...? so they had molds a long time....
Old 02-18-2018, 08:41 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

cSaber has had the molds for years, nothing new... besides adding steps to the 41...if I recall Wicked Won is a 97...? so they had molds a long time....
Old 02-18-2018, 08:57 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by snapmorgan
https://www.offshoreonly.com/classif...on-o71433.html

Doesn't look like Donzi has exited to me. Times are tough for sure, but I would bet that all of the builders that are left would gladly dust off an old mold and build you anything that you asked for, for 50% down.
Check out their 2018 website. Only classics are listed, no ZR's and nothing over 22 feet.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:38 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Everybody says the 41 Apache was a gret boat, it was.... and still is.

Everyone keeps saying somebody needs to build it again, they would sell like crazy.. They have... and they dont.
Bobby made the only mohican, the diesel warpath and the red one with the digital dash,,, But he doesnt have them flying out the door
Saber made Clifford and WW.... Both insane boats, but the orders are not pouring in
Checkmate made ONE boat
Pantera made one boat that went overseas.
The west coast company made white lighning.
8 boats in 20 years, I probably missed a couple so say 1 boat every 2 years....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.