Oil temperature sensor location on 454 mag >

Oil temperature sensor location on 454 mag

Notices

Oil temperature sensor location on 454 mag

Old 03-12-2018, 07:42 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Oil temperature sensor location on 454 mag

I have a baja 29 outlaw with 454 mag gen VI motors. I want to get a new set of gauges and while doing that, I would like to add oil temperature gauges. Where can I put the oil temp sensors? I've read on other posts that the recommended place is above the oil filter pad on the block. But then where do I put the oil pressure sensor? Do I need any special adapters to move the oil pressure sensor? It's pretty tight between the engines so I hope I'll be able to get to the starboard engine location on the block? I also heard of people drilling and tapping the remote oil filter base? Can that be done? If so, what size drill and thread do I need? Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:34 PM
Registered

Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts

There should be an extra port on your oil filter adapter for temp. There is a lot of debate for location. I personally like to know the temp of the oil being delivered to my bearings after the cooler. You can use 2 senders one before the cooler and after the cooler and use a switch to toggle between the both of them. I did that on my Scarab.

Last edited by Rookie; 03-12-2018 at 08:36 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:59 AM
Registered

I think I need a little more detail. Pictures would be good. Like I said I've read on other posts that I could use the port above the oil filter pad, but I believe that is where the oil pressure sensor is now, right? So where do I move that? And if I move it, do I need any special adapters or fittings?
Old 03-13-2018, 10:48 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

That is the place to go with the temp sender. That's really the only port where the sender will be in the flow of oil and not in a dead end passage with stagnate oil. However, the pressure sender can go anywhere. It doesn't matter if it's in a dead end. Pressure is pressure. You can move it just down from where it is now. Right in front of the filter pad on the pan rail are (2) 3/8" ports. You can use either one of them for the pressure sender. We typically use a 3/8 x 1/8 bushing and then a 1/8" 90* street ell to turn the sender 90*.
Eddie
Old 03-13-2018, 07:52 PM
Registered

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
That is the place to go with the temp sender. That's really the only port where the sender will be in the flow of oil and not in a dead end passage with stagnate oil. However, the pressure sender can go anywhere. It doesn't matter if it's in a dead end. Pressure is pressure. You can move it just down from where it is now. Right in front of the filter pad on the pan rail are (2) 3/8" ports. You can use either one of them for the pressure sender. We typically use a 3/8 x 1/8 bushing and then a 1/8" 90* street ell to turn the sender 90*.
Eddie
Eddie,

Off the top of your head, do you know if the pan rail location is accessible with motor installed on a Baja 272 with fuel cool? I spoke to you last April about this very subject and saw about a 40 degree difference (once oil temp stabilized at its high point) when I changed the location of the temp sensor from the remote oil filter block to the pressure sensor location. It was good advice. Would the pressure sensor location be considered cooled oil or hot oil? I don’t know how the oil flow is routed through this point. Thanks.

Last edited by tgorbett; 03-13-2018 at 07:56 PM.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:59 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Young Performance
Eddie
Thanks! That's just the kind of information I needed.
Old 03-14-2018, 08:46 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by tgorbett

Eddie,

Off the top of your head, do you know if the pan rail location is accessible with motor installed on a Baja 272 with fuel cool? I spoke to you last April about this very subject and saw about a 40 degree difference (once oil temp stabilized at its high point) when I changed the location of the temp sensor from the remote oil filter block to the pressure sensor location. It was good advice. Would the pressure sensor location be considered cooled oil or hot oil? I don’t know how the oil flow is routed through this point. Thanks.
It should be accessible. It may not be easy as the plugs come in from the bottom. There are 2 of them right next to each other but the forward one will probably be easier to get. You'll be working blind though. It shouldn't be too terrible to get out. If the factory plugs are still in it, you will need a square drive to remove them. If someone has been in it, chances are it has an allen plug in it. That will take a 5/16 allen wrench.
Eddie
Old 03-14-2018, 12:20 PM
Registered

Eddie,

Is it true that sealant or pipe dope should NOT be used on the sender or fitting threads when installing? Do you ever get leaks? I understand they are pipe threads and are not supposed to need the sealant, just wanted your opinion.
Old 03-14-2018, 02:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by FBRONCO
Eddie,

Is it true that sealant or pipe dope should NOT be used on the sender or fitting threads when installing? Do you ever get leaks? I understand they are pipe threads and are not supposed to need the sealant, just wanted your opinion.
They say that but we use thread sealant. If you don't, it's pretty much a guarantee that it will leak. We use ARP thread sealer. I've never had it affect the grounding or function of a sender.
Eddie
Old 03-14-2018, 06:26 PM
Registered

Received 1,491 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by Rookie
There should be an extra port on your oil filter adapter for temp. There is a lot of debate for location. I personally like to know the temp of the oil being delivered to my bearings after the cooler. You can use 2 senders one before the cooler and after the cooler and use a switch to toggle between the both of them. I did that on my Scarab.
You ever put one in the pan? I installed mine there but never ran engines. Just curious how much difference temps are right after cooler and in pan. Seems like full force was going to do this but never heard back results.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.