Notices

Old Topic New User/CMI 525 water in oil

Old 03-25-2018, 11:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old Topic New User/CMI 525 water in oil

H
Hello,

realize this his is an old topic so apologize in advance. Have a Sunsation 288 MCOB with 525 EFI along with CMI headers. Currently have water in my oil, and best I can surmise, can occur from the following:

1. Blown head gasket
2. Headers

My question is, if it is the headers, how does water actually enter the oil supply? I am leaning to this as I have checked my closed loop system, level is steady and clean. Removed reservoir cap and started engine, with no back pressure to fluids. Oil pressure does seem to be high 65-70 on my Livorsi gauge. When my mechanic installed, indicated everything was fine by computer and not to worry running about 60 by gauge.
A buddy expressed the opinion that there may be a breach in the oil cooler, introducing oil into the seawater, which then goes through heads. If it was a breach in the oil cooler, wouldn't I have oil residue on the thru Hill tips? Currently have another 525 EFI that I can pull headers from, however, do not want to just start throwing parts without determining cause. As I get more into this world, which I love, trying to learn and do more on my own, while saving money. Greatly appreciate advice from those who know much greater then I.

Last edited by geaux; 03-25-2018 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Add image
Old 03-25-2018, 02:34 PM
Registered

Default Old Question New User Water/Oil CMI/525 EFI

H
Hello,

realize this his is an old topic so apologize in advance. Have a Sunsation 288 MCOB with 525 EFI along with CMI headers. Currently have water in my oil, and best I can surmise, can occur from the following:

1. Blown head gasket
2. Headers

My question is, if it is the headers, how does water actually enter the oil supply? I am leaning to this as I have checked my closed loop system, level is steady and clean. Removed reservoir cap and started engine, with no back pressure to fluids. Oil pressure does seem to be high 65-70 on my Livorsi gauge. When my mechanic installed, indicated everything was fine by computer and not to worry running about 60 by gauge.
A buddy expressed the opinion that there may be a breach in the oil cooler, introducing oil into the seawater, which then goes through heads. If it was a breach in the oil cooler, wouldn't I have oil residue on the thru Hill tips? Currently have another 525 EFI that I can pull headers from, however, do not want to just start throwing parts without determining cause. As I get more into this world, which I love, trying to learn and do more on my own, while saving money. Greatly appreciate advice from those who know much greater then I.
Old 03-25-2018, 03:27 PM
Registered

Received 107 Likes on 51 Posts

Pull the headers and pressure test them. It is easy to do and will give you piece of mind one way or the other.
Old 03-25-2018, 03:37 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

Assuming open raw water cooled and not closed.
My first guess would be head gasket unless this just came out of winter storage, then maybe it might have been winterized properly. Pull some plugs and check for water/moisture
Old 03-25-2018, 04:37 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by AllDodge
Assuming open raw water cooled and not closed.
My first guess would be head gasket unless this just came out of winter storage, then maybe it might have been winterized properly. Pull some plugs and check for water/moisture
525 efi are all closed cooled
Old 03-25-2018, 04:50 PM
Registered

How do I pressure test them? How does water get from header into oil? When I pull them, will I be able to see if there has been leakage?
Old 03-25-2018, 05:13 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

Are you talking about a sludgy milkshake or condensation on the dipstick or oil fill cap? If you have sludge in your oil filter then start with pressure checking your oil cooler. After that it’s time to start pulling heads.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:22 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by Unlimited jd

525 efi are all closed cooled
That being the case then it won't be the oil cooler. Oil cooler 60 psi, water side 40 psi maybe

Didn't mention AF, co only place left is the headers leaking done the cylinders
Old 03-25-2018, 05:57 PM
Registered

Received 122 Likes on 83 Posts

A leaking oil cooler will push oil into the seawater circuit. Oil psi is higher than your seawater pressure normally. Likely not your problem. BTW Your engine is closed cooled, only coolant flows thru the block/heads. It's possible your headers are leaking bad enough to milkshake your oil. Water is ingested into the exhaust port and into combustion chamber and into your oil. Pull your headers and look into the exhaust ports on the head. If your headers are leaking this badly, you'll know immediately. It won't be pretty.

Are you 100% sure it's water? What's your coolant look like? Any signs of oil residue in it? A blown head gasket/cracked head should show signs by looking at the coolant.

Last edited by Ryan00TJ; 03-25-2018 at 06:02 PM.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:11 PM
Registered

The coolant is steady in terms of amount and looks exactly as it should. I guess I am trying to understand exactly exactly how water is getting in through headers, and will pull them, to ensure it does not happen again, especially when it is not supposed to.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.