How do I get powdercoating off of EMI's >

How do I get powdercoating off of EMI's

Notices

How do I get powdercoating off of EMI's

Old 10-23-2002, 01:16 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How do I get powdercoating off of EMI's

Id like to polish my EMI aluminum manifolds but they came black powder coated. Someone said bake it off and someone said sandblast. Greg
Old 10-23-2002, 02:39 PM
Brad Perry

I don't think baking will do it for powder coat. It only gets harder at any temp you would want to raise them to. Sandblasting will do it, but it will have to be so aggressive, that you will never polish it. Chemicals are probably the way to go. Even they might have a hard time. Might try calling a powder shop to see what they recommend in the way of chemicals.

Old 10-23-2002, 03:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning on doing the same thing, I thought maybe I could take them to get them dipped and see if that takes the fusion coating off. I know my manifolds were running hot enough to bubble and pop some of the fusion coating.. just flakes off after heated up like that..

Travis
Old 10-23-2002, 03:58 PM
Registered

I stripped and polished my emi's this past spring. there's a hard coat anodized finish underneath the black powercoat. I tried stripping sanding and grinding the hard coat off. impossible!!!!
I had to take the manifolds to a place that does plating and anodizing. they were able to strip the hard coat.
Old 10-23-2002, 04:08 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might want to check with Slingshot...He's in the p/c business. AND you may want to consider clear powdercoat after you polish them.
I had my intakes and t-stat housings done in a color and polished aluminum valve covers done in clear. It will keep them from oxidizing and cut down on maintenance.(polishing again)
Old 10-23-2002, 04:20 PM
Registered

Aircraft stripper will take the powder coating off, available at most auto parts stores. The anodize will have to be removed with an acid wash. Depending on the anodize, wheel cleaner may take it off. Use the one that is NOT safe for clear coat or polished wheels.
Old 10-23-2002, 09:33 PM
Registered

yes...Aircraft Stripper will take the powder coat off. It comes in a quart for like $8. it's like a jelly substance. do small sections at a time. leave it on for about a minute and rub it off with rag. make sure you wear gloves, and don't let it touch you anywhere.....**** burns.