Notices

Merc 8.2 B3 380hp problem

Old 06-15-2018, 10:38 AM
jjj
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Merc 8.2 B3 380hp problem

2016 merc 8.2 380hp
Was cruising around at about 2000 rpm and engine shut down like the key was turned off. All gages show like the engine is running and reading normal but all is dead - no click while turning the key - nothing - but I do have good battery power and again, all gages still read normal including the tach as if engine is running.
Any guesses at what could be wrong ?
Old 06-15-2018, 11:19 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you accidentally pull the kill switch? Make sure that is on and secure, could be something as simple as that.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:48 AM
jjj
Registered

Sorry I should have mentioned it, that was the first thing I checked....thanks for the reply though
Old 06-15-2018, 11:50 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

best advice I can give a boat owner whom own a catalyst marine engine is find a well trained Merc cert shop and one that has a good repore with the OEM marine rep, Basically what I am saying is these engines are not a do it yourselfer fixer engine. One it takes a very vast knowledge base in the scanning of these engines and it is best to use Merc G3.

2 is the maintenance and even the boat owner knowledge how what not to do for an example - do not run a cat engine out of gas - why because it can blow a hole right thru the cat sub strake. that repair alone can be over 5 k alone depending. Also very few cat engines especially the 8.2 in the marketplace. If I was to guess since 2010 mandated cat engines from all Marine OEMS -- prob under 250K sold. and prob maybe 1500 were 8.2. if that.

With that said the internet for proper info based is just not there to learn anything from period.. Most boat owners do more harm to their cat engines because they think they know what they are doing or because something in the forums told them to do so. I am telling it like I see it in person.- 9 out 10 boat owners whom own a cat engine - jack things up trying to fix a isolated issue with their engine.

There is Service bulletins on these engines especially in the past, plus there is PCM recalibrations as well. That is all dictated by engine serial number. I would find a shop who see these daily. And that would be me as well. Marine gas catalyst engines. There might be a PCM recalibration for yours as well. A dealer is needed,

Last edited by BUP; 06-15-2018 at 12:10 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:56 AM
Registered

Received 244 Likes on 131 Posts

Gages and tach still show like the engine is running?
That seems really strange.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:17 PM
jjj
Registered

It is strange, the gages.... The boat is at the dealer now but I am not sure when it will be looked at. I was just curious what the experts here thought about what could be wrong.
Old 06-15-2018, 02:05 PM
BUP
Banned

posting your engine serial would be the best for answers. NOT sounding like a bad guy but experts for cat marine engines are not going to be found on the internet. Do not take this wrong. Example even on OSO is 99.99 % MPI (non cat) and carb info related.

Very rare cat topics come up and if they do most all poster have never even touch nor seen a cat marine in person. Just saying no offense to anyone. It is what it is and IMO should be pointed out for info received.

Post engine serial number to do some digging. That's the best start.

Last edited by BUP; 06-15-2018 at 02:13 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 02:28 PM
BUP
Banned

your engine is newer than this service bulletin but possible some of it might pertain about the issue(s) you are having. read away. These 8.2 can be a problem child. Man we had this exact issue from the related service bulletin back then. Engine just shuts off for no reason and or blows up going down the lake.

the full 30 pager of all that. I am fully interested in your issues and the outcome. Bulletin link below from the past. This is the 2 nd update version back in 2011. again not any or most of it will not pertain to your engine if in fact it is a true 2016 production date built engine but possible something in the bulletin could.

FIELD CAMPAIGN ON 8.2 STERNDRIVE ECT ENGINES | Service Bulletin | Crowley Marine
Old 06-15-2018, 05:51 PM
jjj
Registered

Thanks for the info but I'm guessing it is electrical because the starter won't even click when you turn the key. The dealer has the boat and will hopefully get to it Monday. I will post outcome when I get it.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:05 PM
Registered

Received 107 Likes on 82 Posts

If all the gauges doing that it maybe as easy as the main ground wire. It's only a guess...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.