1980 260 merc exhaust elbow gasket question >

1980 260 merc exhaust elbow gasket question

Notices

1980 260 merc exhaust elbow gasket question

Old 06-17-2018, 09:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1980 260 merc exhaust elbow gasket question

1980 Hammond... like the original Challenger... anyway, has always had a hot spot on the starboard side... looks to be original exhaust log. One on port side seems slightly different. JUST unpickled from sitting out the winter... (finally). replaced water pump last year, thermostat, impeller/pump kit in drive.. Anyway, sitting at idle it slowly started creeping up past 160(while on trailer with hose hooked up)... at idle. Gave it some gas and it just got hotter. Had a infrared on it last year to test temps, and stbd side was hotter with a hot spot around the third cylinder back... Figure it's time for fresh manifolds, even though only a fresh water boat from what I gather. When I pulled the elbow off to take a peek, I noticed the gasket had not vent holes to line up with the water vents. Upon reading i find these are referred to as dry joints. Not sure if this boat is supposed to have them... Engine serial # 5425711... outdrive # 5622772. Just ordered fresh manifolds from Amazon, sierra 18-1950 & 51.... But I am perplexed about the restricter style "dry joint" gasket used... looking online at boatinfo.net at the manual, and it does not show that for the 260. I have no riser installed. Guess dry would be preferable, but wondering if this lends to the hotter running condition (Although it seemed to run OK at around 165ish or so after new water pump... but manifolds always very hot to the touch, particularly stbd.

Question is.... go back with a restrictor type gasket, or no? If so, anyone know the part number and who makes it... Sierra...? Thanks a ton for any help.

Last edited by CanyonDoug; 06-17-2018 at 09:50 PM. Reason: correction/addition
Old 06-17-2018, 10:28 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

997772 is the gasket, takes 2, 60207 is the plate, mercruiserparts.com lists parts for 78-82 260’s

Last edited by JaayTeee; 06-17-2018 at 10:31 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:18 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JaayTeee
997772 is the gasket, takes 2, 60207 is the plate, mercruiserparts.com lists parts for 78-82 260’s
Thank you for a quick reply and help on the part. So I guess it is supposed to be there.... Thought maybe that was the reason it was running a bit hot around the manifold, but I suppose it's the old manifolds. I appreciate your time! - Doug