Help picking 525SC rebuild cam

Notices

Help picking 525SC rebuild cam

Old 06-21-2018, 03:03 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Mohavvalley
Thanks Griff & MT.

What about the melonized or "everwear gear", worth the upgrade? I'm running the original Merc ingition.

Thanks
is there a rev limiter ? Which merc ignition?
Old 06-21-2018, 03:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
is there a rev limiter ? Which merc ignition?
It's a TB-4, merc cap, MSD blaster 2 coil, MSD 6A (not sure if i need to run this), and not sure on the Rev limiter, what does it look like, or what's it marked?

I know there's a adjustable knock sensor module up by the cockpit too.

Thanks
Old 06-22-2018, 01:21 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

The Crane cams can be run with the stock iron distributor gear.

Stock 525SC has rev limit at 5350-5400 rpms. Rev limiter is part #41 Genuine Mercury & Mercruiser parts. WIRING HARNESS AND ELECTRICAL COMPONENTS
Old 06-22-2018, 09:24 AM
Registered

Thanks Griff, I went through my dissassembely pics and I don't have one of under the ignition module... So I'm not sure if there was a Rev limiter on there or not..

Should I remove it when I put it back together or just wait while I'm running the 177, until I put on the 6v-71?

Also I'm running the original distributor, does that have anything to do with what gear I should get on the cam?

Thanks
Old 06-25-2018, 09:50 AM
Registered

From the RPMs I want to run, I'm assuming I'm going to remove the Rev limiter, wither it's on the initial rebuild or when I upgrade the blower.

So should I run the everwear/melonized gear on the cam?

So I noticed the crane 741 and the 525efi can both have higher lift on the exhaust VS. the Lunati's that have higher lift on the intake, running a low boost blower, what effects will going one way VS. the other will there be? For example will exhaust valves heat up more with more intake lift, will get more cylinder pressure with the higher intake lift, etc...?

Last edited by Mohavvalley; 06-25-2018 at 10:03 AM.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:50 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Don't look into it much when exh valve has slightly less or higher lift than the intake.
When exhaust has higher lift than intake, it is usually because it is the next larger lobe in the catalog in the same lobe family.

Exh under much higher pressure when exh valve opens than intake when intake opens. Thus why more important to have larger int valve at the expense of a smaller exhaust.

Oh, please don'r compare exh valve and pressure escape to a soda can. That doesn;t work well.

Last edited by SB; 06-25-2018 at 10:53 AM.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:11 AM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

I’m no expert, but I’ve found the 741/525EFI cam to be so popular because they work so well in mildly built marine applications. Teague’s cams are near copies of them, Bob M. cams were very close as well. I picked the 525EFI cam for the wider lsa and it’s cheaper which is nice. I can’t find these used because they get swooped up so quickly.
Old 06-28-2018, 11:52 AM
Registered

Default Distributor gear

Ok I've done some more research and it seems to come down to 2 choices for the pressed on distributor gear on the cam. I'm running a HV melling oil pump, so whats a better combo

1) Get the "everwear" gear pressed on the cam and run the original melonized distributor gear
OR
2) Get the standard iron gear on the cam and run a Howard's bronze distributor gear?

Which combo will last longer pushing the HV pump?

Last edited by Mohavvalley; 06-28-2018 at 12:11 PM.
Old 06-28-2018, 12:11 PM
Registered

Received 122 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Mohavvalley
Ok I've done some more research and it seems to come down to 2 choices for the pressed on distributor gear on the cam. I'm running a HV melling oil pump, so whats a better combo

1) Get the "everwear" gear pressed on the cam and run the original melonized distributor gear
OR
2) Get the standard cast gear on the cam and run a Howard's bronze distributor gear?
Choice #1. Never had a problem. Never liked the idea of a bronze gear wearing and depositing that into the oil. Which then goes thru your bearings.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:31 PM
Registered

I've also done some more research and it looks like I can run a gen 6 step nose cam with retainer plate. I have 2 threaded holes at noon and 6, so I can run the retainer plate vertical instead of horizontal?

If I run the gen 6 step nose cam with retainer, I do have to run a gen 6 timing set due to the smaller Diameter cam gear bolt pattern.