Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Typical MAP and Ign Advance values at idle for 496 MAG HO? >

Typical MAP and Ign Advance values at idle for 496 MAG HO?

Notices

Typical MAP and Ign Advance values at idle for 496 MAG HO?

Old 06-25-2018, 07:14 PM
Registered

Received 110 Likes on 82 Posts

Not specifically what you are looking for but this is a MEFI 1 table for a 350 Mag EFI/MP. May or may not give you some help.

Old 06-25-2018, 07:25 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A Volvo Penta 496 will/should be between 30-40 kpa or 1.1-1.7 volts lambda at idle, diacom is one of best softwares to use on Volvo Penta engines. It will give you kpa and volts of the MAP sensor. But yeah you are low on vacuum at idle I bet it,s super rich, I would do a leak down test to see if you have any leakage past the valves.

for got to add the figure quoted are at sea level, it will change with altitude

Last edited by Camalot; 06-25-2018 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 06-25-2018, 09:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Camalot
A Volvo Penta 496 will/should be between 30-40 kpa or 1.1-1.7 volts lambda at idle, diacom is one of best softwares to use on Volvo Penta engines. It will give you kpa and volts of the MAP sensor. But yeah you are low on vacuum at idle I bet it,s super rich, I would do a leak down test to see if you have any leakage past the valves.

for got to add the figure quoted are at sea level, it will change with altitude
Thanks Camalot - that's very helpful. Scannerpro gives me kpa and volts for mine as well.. Kpa holds steady around 61 with volts @ ~2.8. I'm really hoping the valves are just adjusted too tight - going to check them tomorrow.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:57 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Volvo MAP 1 V to 1.5 at dead idle and 4.0 to 4.5 V at WOT.

Vacuum gauge testing to a manifold vacuum source at 1000 rpms should be 45.5 KPA or 14 in Hg

TPS is .7 volt at dead idle and about 4.8 volts at WOT

I could reconfirm this by finding the diagnostic manual for the Volvo 8.1. Would have to find it first
Old 06-25-2018, 09:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
IAC totally different and Volvo do not use a IAC muffler - a mechanical throttle & shift might not be what you have as well depending on your volvo app. So with that said you might not even have an IAC. The throttle body set up is different than Merc. Neither are the same DTS or Mechanical inwhich is different between the 2.

Alot of Volvo 496 were NOT closed cooled --- most inland volvo 496's sold were not closed cooled. All Merc 496 are closed cooled. The tunes are not the same regardless I am telling you first hand. . Volvo do not use a shift in gear switch -- Volvo do not use a water pressure monitor set up either.

Volvo cam position sensor install is different as well. -- I understand the basics and MAP / speed density system all going to be the same -- but for a scanned engine the Merc 496 and Volvo have alot differences as far as some of the things monitoring. Volvo use different Knock sensors as well compared to Merc.

If I recall corectly the timing tables being different as well compared to Merc. . Also around 2005 Volvo went to returnless fuel system. I might have to check on that one to be sure of the year. It might have been when the got away from MEFI 4 possible 2006.

Mercruiser stock 496 exhaust is also better flowing than the stock Volvo 496 exhaust. But Volvo thru the prop exhaust is better flowing than Merc thru the prop exhaust. I am talking about the Y pipe and down. I am putting this all out cause the tune will not be the exact same as Merc. I am making aware the changes between the 2 as it might be hard to find that info out cause most are going to talk about the Merc set up / tune / and so on inwhich is not apples to apples.

Also do you have Volvo DP outdrive ? Volvo only offered a DP out drive for the HO 496 / GXI model. No single prop was not used for the gxi model. Volvo

To be clear I understand that was not you as per calling me for the help in the past -- hence from your first post I had to ask not knowing the location either. Same boat and a same Volvo engine. Just saying
Hi BUP - thanks for the feedback. I get that they aren't going to be exactly the same, but that's not what I was after.

For what it's worth, in case anybody on OSO wants to know more about VP's in the future, the mechanical controlled Gi/Gxi do have IAC, but as you point out, they are different than the merc motors. My 2004 has a fuel return and I'm pretty sure that carried into at least ~2006. According to the cross referencing I've done, the cam sensors are actually the same (GM changed it twice between 2001 to 2004, but my understanding is that Merc and VP used the same ones as each other for the generations), but you're right that the knock sensors are different, though I'd be surprised if they are tuned to different frequencies since the castings and rotating assemblies are all exactly the same. I do have the duoprop In any case, I was looking for some reference information for the closest engine relative where I knew there was an enthusiast group that would likely have it and the OSO crowd didn't disappoint. Thanks again for assistance!

Tomorrow I'm going pull the valve covers off and go through the valve lash. On Thursday, I have a smoke machine arriving to see if I can find any intake leaks. If neither of those prove fruitful, then the next most likely culprit is either that I installed the timing chain wrong or that the cam was not to spec. In the meantime, I'm also going to add a little bit of additional advance to the spark table.

I appreciate that you folks spent some time trying to help me - I'm very grateful. I'll report back how it goes.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
Volvo MAP 1 V to 1.5 at dead idle and 4.0 to 4.5 V at WOT.

Vacuum gauge testing to a manifold vacuum source at 1000 rpms should be 45.5 KPA or 14 in Hg

TPS is .7 volt at dead idle and about 4.8 volts at WOT

I could reconfirm this by finding the diagnostic manual for the Volvo 8.1. Would have to find it first
THank you BUP! THis is perfect. Now, I've just got to figure out why mine is so off!
Old 06-25-2018, 10:01 PM
BUP
Banned

GO Up and read my post above yours ^^^^^ I am going off my head.

Keep in mind vacuum testing with IAC apps at idle the vacuum readings are going to be lower than your set standard readings with a vacuum gauge.

The TPS is very important here as for a input used by the ECM for fuel control and even for the IAC control.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:02 PM
BUP
Banned

Originally Posted by slideruleracer
THank you BUP! THis is perfect. Now, I've just got to figure out why mine is so off!
OK I see you found it --- what I posted
Old 06-25-2018, 10:08 PM
BUP
Banned

Volvo cam sensor uses a spacer in the past about 2 years ago but that has changed -- the Merc did not use a spacer. For 2001 thru 2003. The cam sensors are NLA -- 2001 - 2002 - 2003 . Look at merc parts diagram for those years its NLA - volvo USE to have it with a spacer - They were using a different cam sensor for the early years..Currently that has changed for Volvo as well. I do have the 2001 / 2002 - 2003 cam sensor. I have them made. right here in the USA.

Model year 2006 Volvo went to the returnless fuel set up as that intro in Mid / late 2005 / model year 2006

Last edited by BUP; 06-25-2018 at 11:17 PM.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:21 PM
BUP
Banned

when Volvo does use an IAC on the 496 or any of their MPI apps ---its not even the same as Merc set up nor is the IAC the same either --- Merc set up with the Ford style IAC .

Volvo IAC is way more reliable with a whole lot less failures and less ECM failures as well.

Last edited by BUP; 06-25-2018 at 10:30 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.