Cam chain clearance to block >

Cam chain clearance to block

Notices

Cam chain clearance to block

Old 01-02-2019, 03:52 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

After watching video again I see what you mean, but that center was an issue either way, I contacted a few builders who saw the same thing, I think it was MER Mark or Eddie young that said there are 2 different retainers.
Old 01-02-2019, 03:55 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

another guy same issue
Old 01-02-2019, 05:49 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

The bearing was already on my cam gear. There’s another thread here where the second retainer was mentioned and I asked about it for a part# with no response so I just machined the hole a little larger and all spun willie nillie after that.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:55 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

tim,on the rollmaster the black part of the torrington bearing faces away from the cam gear,i could not really tell how you had it in your video.also,like i told you during your builds,i have seen a few aftermarket retainer plates that needed a little clearancing.i have learned through the years not to assume any parts are machined correctly and everything needs to be checked.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:11 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

well here we go,i just got a rollmaster for a build i am doing,also got an order of new cam plates,guess what,without opening the hole in the retainer plate their will be contact with the bearing.these are gm retainer plates SSSOOOOO,anything can happen.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:51 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

Well, there you have it, lol. My retainer plate was the stock GM unit as well. It seems like they could at least mention their bearing doesn’t fit or resize the bearing.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:08 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by mike tkach
well here we go,i just got a rollmaster for a build i am doing,also got an order of new cam plates,guess what,without opening the hole in the retainer plate their will be contact with the bearing.these are gm retainer plates SSSOOOOO,anything can happen.
Yes, that's why I posted that, so people knew to check, we caught it obviously and I learned a lot on them builds, wish I kept them engines after I sold Mistress lol 4 seasons now no issues, too bad last one was in a scarab not my boat!
Old 01-03-2019, 05:09 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by mike tkach
tim,on the rollmaster the black part of the torrington bearing faces away from the cam gear,i could not really tell how you had it in your video.also,like i told you during your builds,i have seen a few aftermarket retainer plates that needed a little clearancing.i have learned through the years not to assume any parts are machined correctly and everything needs to be checked.
Yes, black part faced away, thanks for all your help back in the day... !!