Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Sick 454 Mag need some advice >

Sick 454 Mag need some advice

Notices

Sick 454 Mag need some advice

Old 07-04-2018, 02:49 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Would you buy a flooded car? Besides water in the engine it was in all the electrical connections. Any electronics are questionable. Do you really want to have break downs on the lake.

You have no idea what the inside of the egine looks like. Rust on the cylinder walls, rings, cams, crank. Is there larger debris blocking an oil passages.

Then there is the unknown of transom and stringer wood.

How much will you you have into.
Old 07-04-2018, 09:09 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Well if the leak down test proves to be something I will toss it but I don't want to unless it's absolutely internal. I'm asking from others experience how to tell on the leak down whether or not it's in the water system or exhaust IF the compression is even bad. I assume the water and exhaust system are connected some how so my question is still the same can water get in from an exhaust riser and only affect the back cylinder.

As of today it runs great but I do have water in #7 if it's not residual from water in the intake or fuel rails. So today my goal is to determine where my leak is if any at all. I posted a video of it running below.

https://youtu.be/Ki2PUZW5KlI
Old 07-04-2018, 09:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by justfishing
Would you buy a flooded car? Besides water in the engine it was in all the electrical connections. Any electronics are questionable. Do you really want to have break downs on the lake.

You have no idea what the inside of the egine looks like. Rust on the cylinder walls, rings, cams, crank. Is there larger debris blocking an oil passages.

Then there is the unknown of transom and stringer wood.

How much will you you have into.
also the electronics haven't failed. I pulled the vst to clean the system and rebuilt while I had it out.
Old 07-04-2018, 11:42 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 904 Posts

If there was water in oil and in the fuel system, then all of electrical system was also wet. You're gonna be chasing problems until the engine blows up due to all the internals being rusted. You're wasting your time throwing parts at it without a scan tool to determine the real issues.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:31 AM
Registered

I guess I'm not gonna get any help here. I'm not getting rid of it until I can prove that's the case. Now if I can prove that I'll quit messing with it but if I'm not gonna get any help here then I'll move on otherwise helpful answer only?

there was water in the oil but I don't believe the water was high enough to compromise the electrical system. I'm not having any electrical problems. The boat has run without fail on the hose for hours started and stopped many times.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:58 AM
Registered

Received 743 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
1996 Crownline is full of wood every where - the floor all the stringers the transom all interior bases and so forth. You are on the way to rot. its already 23 years anyways old get rid of it. Prob had some rot before it filled up with water. Also it does have foam filled in some of the under floor cavities. I know Crownlines very well as my area was filled with them in the 1990 s.
Correct. '98 was the first year Crownline went to using XL treated plywood in their boat construction. Before '98 it was all untreated wood and they had bad issues with rot in the floors, etc. if left exposed to the elements.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:58 AM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

You keep finding water in the cylinder/ on the plug yet keep asking how to tell if you have a leak. I think the first sign you have a leak would be repeatedly finding water in a cylinder. Yes a bad riser gasket could allow water to run down into the exhaust and into the cylinder(s) through an exhaust valve. I don't know how a compression test would show a leak in a riser gasket. It's a holiday and yet some knowledgeable people still chose to answer, give it a couple more days and you're likely to get more responces. The best advice has already been given on what to do with a wood core boat that has had the bilge, engine, fuel tank and drive filled with water. You can always try Facebook and pick the answers you like from the thousands of qualified people who will respond.

Last edited by bck; 07-05-2018 at 09:05 AM.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:09 AM
Registered

Received 743 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by bck
You can always try Facebook and pick the answers you like from the thousands of qualified people who will respond.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:16 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,110 Likes on 1,401 Posts

I have a question. How did water get in the fuel tank ? the vent and fuel fill (both outside of the boat) are the only points of entry.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:52 AM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

The boat has run without fail on the hose for hours started and stopped many times.[/QUOTE]

Not in any way making fun of the OP as I know it sucks when you By Chicken salad and it turns out to be Chicken Chit But I could not help but think of this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.