Strainers not filling all the way >

Strainers not filling all the way

Notices

Strainers not filling all the way

Old 07-18-2018, 06:17 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strainers not filling all the way

Over the winter I pulled transom assembly’s to replace steering pins. While they were off, I had them completely gone through. Water lines replaced with a different style(newer) water necks. Replaced impellers and housings as well. Now my strainers don’t completely fill up anymore. Water temp, oil temp, and pressures have all been fine. Plenty of water out of the exhaust. Any ideas why they would only fill 1/2 to 3/4 now? That is after a run as well. They used to do it just at the dock until I got the engines moving, then they filled completely.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:02 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

air entering into the water side cooling system ? Clear hose method testing and watch for air bubbles in the water flow stream.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:47 PM
Registered

Received 1,207 Likes on 580 Posts

Better vacuum/flow, moving more water. I'm assuming they are on the vacuum side of the sea pump. New impeller will keep it to the bottom of the output outlet. I don't see a problem.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:54 PM
Registered

Received 394 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Rookie
Better vacuum/flow, moving more water. I'm assuming they are on the vacuum side of the sea pump. New impeller will keep it to the bottom of the output outlet. I don't see a problem.
Mine swirl just above the screen at idle.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rookie
I was hoping not. Everything seems perfectly fine. I replace impellers every year and they’ve never done this. Only thing different is the hoses in the transom assembly’s. I suspected an air leak, but both at the same time seemed unlikely. Thanks
Old 07-18-2018, 04:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by payuppsucker
Mine swirl just above the screen at idle.

Mine do do the same, but used to fill up completely as soon as I’m on plane. Not so much anymore.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:21 PM
BUP
Banned

Smaller of anything for inlet water side ?? when changed all out over the winter ? What brand of parts did you install ? what impeller and housings did you use ?? Maybe your volume of water flow is lower than before ? Have no idea of the set up and parts used here.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:22 PM
BUP
Banned

Originally Posted by Sonichunter

Mine do do the same, but used to fill up completely as soon as I’m on plane. Not so much anymore.
sounds like less water flow volume to me
Old 07-18-2018, 04:30 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
Smaller of anything for inlet water side ?? when changed all out over the winter ? What brand of parts did you install ? what impeller and housings did you use ?? Maybe your volume of water flow is lower than before ? Have no idea of the set up and parts used here.

no idea on parts. I don’t know how to rebuild assembly’s so I paid to have them done. Guy said my water lines were obsolete so he put the updated ones in. I used the same impellers and housing I use every year. Sorry I don’t have all the info. I was more looking to if it’s something to be overly concerned about or not. Like I stated, temps are all normal, just the strainers are different.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:51 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Are you running circulation pumps ? was any thing done to the engine, exhaust while they were out. I agree with Rookie, if its staying cool and not leaking internally in the bilge run it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.