525 coolant cap leak

Notices

525 coolant cap leak

Old 07-25-2018, 01:15 PM
Registered

Received 243 Likes on 130 Posts

Sealing surface for the cap OK?
Where the gaskets sets?
Flanges and locking notches and tabs deformed at all?
Radiator shop can probably repair if needed.
$1k...
Old 07-25-2018, 01:21 PM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 252 Posts

I have had them repaired at a radiator shop as well. Does it only do it when on plane? Never does it sitting still?
Old 07-25-2018, 02:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

The top flange on tank is little rough and was a concern that not getting good seal but it did seal good when I used my pressure gauge. Think it would help to double up rubber seals on the cap?
Old 07-25-2018, 02:37 PM
Registered

Received 122 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by rvtransport
Well I pressurized heat exchanger alone and did hold 20psi. But I have 40 plus psi water pressure when running hard. I pulled plugs did leak down test on engine no signs of head gasket leaking. I guess I am going to order new heat exchanger and see if it fixes issue. 1k gamble but sick of screwing around with this.
I can't see the HE being the problem if it holds 20 psi. My HE had one tube leaking into the raw water side. Testing at 15psi it was VERY noticeable which tube was leaking along with pressure dropping.

When you originally psi tested your closed cooling system, you connected the correct cap onto your expansion tank and pressureized to 15psi? No leakage or drop in psi? This tells me the problem is not in the closed cooling system.
Old 07-25-2018, 03:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

No I pressurized system via removing cap and pressurizing the tank. I never thought of rigging up a way to pressurize system with my cap on and seeing if I can get the cap to leak. There is a small hose that runs from tank to top of heat exchanger wondering if I cap one side then pressurize through hose would work?
Old 07-25-2018, 06:07 PM
Registered

Received 122 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by rvtransport
No I pressurized system via removing cap and pressurizing the tank. I never thought of rigging up a way to pressurize system with my cap on and seeing if I can get the cap to leak. There is a small hose that runs from tank to top of heat exchanger wondering if I cap one side then pressurize through hose would work?
Correct. By doing this you tested from cap down and had no leaks/psi drop. Correct again, install expansion tank cap. Pressurize system from this hose and dead end HE fitting. Another option is to install a Tee in this line and pressurize. This way will test entire system including suspect cap and ecpansion tank.
Old 07-25-2018, 09:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I found the problem. The top tank is leaking around surface where cap seals. When I use my tank pressure adapter and regular radiator cap it hold pressure. When I put cap on I can hear it leaking around seal. I am going to run it this way temporarily until I get a new cap. Thank you guys for helping saved me 1k for new heat exchanger!
The following users liked this post:
Bwsando (04-13-2021), payuppsucker (07-25-2018), Ryan00TJ (07-25-2018), Sydwayz (07-26-2018)
Old 07-26-2018, 12:11 PM
Registered

Received 243 Likes on 130 Posts

Congrats