Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Engine swap from Chevy 350 to Ford 351. >

Engine swap from Chevy 350 to Ford 351.

Notices

Engine swap from Chevy 350 to Ford 351.

Old 08-10-2018, 10:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine swap from Chevy 350 to Ford 351.

I purchased an 85 Bayliner 2550 from an auction cheap. The boat is in great shape with only 320 hours on it. The problem is the previous owner did not know he needed to winterize it. The block is severely cracked with canyon sized gaps you can actually put your fingers in. It is a Volvo Penta 350.

I have a good running 1978 351 Windsor OMC engine in a boat I am going to part out and get rid of. My question is can I use this engine in my Bayliner and what I would expect to change on the Volvo set up to fit the ford engine.

The 351 is set up for salt water with the heat exchanger I would really like this set up as the 350 didn’t come with one.

Thanks
Old 08-10-2018, 10:31 AM
Registered

Its illegal to swap from chey to ford .
Old 08-10-2018, 10:44 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Trying to save money I see. Sorry but that's not gonna happen in a boat. If you have everything from the 351 you will still need bellhousing and a damper plate. Volvo Penta do not have water pumps in the drive (like Merc) so if you don't have a raw water pump on your motor you will also need one.
What is left of the 350? If its just the block that is damaged, replace the 350 and save the money and headaches.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:34 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by f_inscreenname
Trying to save money I see. Sorry but that's not gonna happen in a boat. If you have everything from the 351 you will still need bellhousing and a damper plate. Volvo Penta do not have water pumps in the drive (like Merc) so if you don't have a raw water pump on your motor you will also need one.
What is left of the 350? If its just the block that is damaged, replace the 350 and save the money and headaches.
I was afraid that would be the case. Both engines are complete. In fact the 350 still runs good. It just floods the bilge very quickly. The manifolds appear to be fine. No water is leaking from them and I have found no cracks.

Do do you know if I can use the heat exchanger off the ford engine on a Chevy. Looking around those seem to be pretty universal. I will be using this boat in the Gulf of Mexico and would like to keep the salt water out of a new engine.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:51 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,046 Likes on 1,357 Posts

As cheap as small blocks are, Id buy a reman long block and swap everything over, all the mounting points Cheby vs ford would be different
Old 08-10-2018, 12:00 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Why in the world would you do that....LOL

Fix the chevy, or buy a long block. Then use the ford as a extra anchor...
Old 08-10-2018, 12:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy
As cheap as small blocks are, Id buy a reman long block and swap everything over, all the mounting points Cheby vs ford would be different
Personally I’d prefer a Mopar engine but they don’t seem to do marine stuff anymore. Ford would be my second choice but the Cheby stuff is cheaper so I’ll stick with what is there.. My friends and I have always joked about Mopar parts being expensive and hard to get where you can go to 7/11 and get anything for a 350.
Old 08-10-2018, 12:12 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,046 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Im sure you could close cool the cheby with a little engineering............
Old 08-10-2018, 12:18 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

I would have to see the exchanger but where there is a will there is a way.
I've done Mopar and Ford but now everything is BBC. Like you said, 350 and Chevy in general are cheap. When it comes to boats it is always the KISS method.