Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
8.2 mag ho Stalling when hot >

8.2 mag ho Stalling when hot

Like Tree1Likes

8.2 mag ho Stalling when hot

Old 08-14-2018, 11:48 AM
BUP
Registered

Yes asking cause I never seen a SB that Merc put out ever mentioning anything about internal paint peeling in the cool fuels. Paint was still in the cool fuels past 2009 and way past that SB posted.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:08 PM
Registered

from Merc
The inside of the gen 3 cool fuel modules were always coated and still are today. There is a lot of misinformation on the internet. In about 2015 we came out with a new top cap which is anodized and is resistant to today's fuel additives.
Thanks,
MerCruiser Consumer Support
Old 08-14-2018, 03:45 PM
BUP
Registered

I understand merc comment about the net - so much bad info and everyone is expert boat tech. I just pulled their gen 3 cool fuel off an engine - ran fresh gas thru it for about 10 to 12 mins to flush it out as best I could to see how much SO CALLED WHATEVER PAINT LIKE SUBSTANCE Merc wants to call it. -

A very quick 2 second swabbed of 4 q tips heads at the fuel outlet side and guess what the paint / or whatever Merc coating it is flaking OFF and coming out the outlet on its way to the injectors. The injectors are full of their Black coating paint like substance or whatever they want to call it. Keep in mind I flushed the chit out of the cool fuel cell with fresh gas for about 10 to 12 mins beforehand. And flakes was all in that as well.

This is not some internet jockey doing this test. The app is a 2008 with 136 hours on the engine. Again keep in mind this is the FUEL outlet side of the cool fuel on the way to the injectors - past all filters and past the regulator as well.

PICS TO FOLLOW. ---- All quick 2 second q tip swab picked up flakes of the Merc BLACK coating regardless. I could have swabbed it 100 times and still got black flakes so I have no idea why they act like no big deal. IT COLLECTS IN THE INJECTORS ---- THAT IS A BIG DEAL. HUGELY.

Last edited by BUP; 08-14-2018 at 03:51 PM.
Old 08-14-2018, 03:53 PM
BUP
Registered

pic one all dried out and a 2 second swab of 4 q tips - Black flakes on all. This is the fuel outlet side as mentioned.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:06 PM
BUP
Registered

pic 2
Old 08-14-2018, 04:10 PM
BUP
Registered

So Technically OEM says NOT paint - ok technically we will call it BLACK CHIT that flakes off and gets in the injectors. The CATALYST engines have been doing the same THAT USE THE GEN 3 COOL FUEL.
Old 08-14-2018, 04:17 PM
BUP
Registered

^^^^^^^^ So pic above what is the point of doing a half black coating in the cavities and having other half bare with no black coating -- Look at it closely ? This is so common on many of the gen 3 internally. Totally lost at the OEM thinking on this one ? Why bother to half coat the cavity ? Poor quality job if you asked me. Maybe so only half the coating flakes off to clog the injectors instead of a full coated cavity flaking off really causing huge lean AFR issues jeez ??. The OEMs are not always right. But they will never admit that.