Donzi C22 powertrain >

Donzi C22 powertrain

Notices

Donzi C22 powertrain

Old 09-06-2018, 06:54 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Donzi C22 powertrain

I just purchased a 1987 Donzi Classic 22 with a 454 & Alpha One. I knew this combo is less than optimal. My plan for the boat is to drive for a year or so to get to know it (I have a 388 Donzi C18 that I am selling, but expect is very different from a 22). I then plan to rebuild the 454 to a naturally-aspirated 600hp, as well as adding a larger fuel tank and new restomod-like interior. At that point, I know I would grenade the alpha and am looking for opinions on my next move. Do I need a Bravo XR? Thank you for your thoughts
Old 09-07-2018, 10:15 AM
Registered

Default Bump on C22

Much appreciate all opinions
Old 09-07-2018, 10:24 AM
Registered

Default Added question on Bravo XR

I mentioned I will be rebuilding the BBC with dart heads, lightweight pistons and normally aspirated and expect to be around 600 hp..... for a Classic 22 is there a rule of thumb for a Bravo XR ratio selection?
Old 09-26-2018, 05:02 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I don’t know what your budget is but I would def recommend an XR. Standard Bravo minimum. The 22 Classic is a heavy boat for how big it is but in the grand scheme of things isn’t that heavy so an XR would do fairly well. I would think 600hp with an XR would be fairly forgiving assuming you don’t drag race it around.
Old 09-26-2018, 07:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by farmo83
I don’t know what your budget is but I would def recommend an XR. Standard Bravo minimum. The 22 Classic is a heavy boat for how big it is but in the grand scheme of things isn’t that heavy so an XR would do fairly well. I would think 600hp with an XR would be fairly forgiving assuming you don’t drag race it around.
Thank you for the input. We will run it hard and put away wet (as they say). I do expect around 650 hp, so do you think to be strong (aka wide open for an hour) I need a different outdrive?
Old 09-26-2018, 07:32 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Brian Orlandi is just down in newport onthe other side of the D from you..he has done quite a few of the Donzi 22's and Im sure he can answer just about any question you have. depending on what your goals are, you can problably be happy with a little less hp..... I have ridden in one he did (mik's boat) and it ran really nice with a 525,
Old 09-26-2018, 09:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by phragle
Brian Orlandi is just down in newport onthe other side of the D from you..he has done quite a few of the Donzi 22's and Im sure he can answer just about any question you have. depending on what your goals are, you can problably be happy with a little less hp..... I have ridden in one he did (mik's boat) and it ran really nice with a 525,

that sounds really good.... any idea how to reach Brian?
Old 09-26-2018, 09:17 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by sandslot

that sounds really good.... any idea how to reach Brian?

- HOME
Old 09-27-2018, 10:41 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sandslot

Thank you for the input. We will run it hard and put away wet (as they say). I do expect around 650 hp, so do you think to be strong (aka wide open for an hour) I need a different outdrive?
The XR's weakness isn't in running hard for long (it can do that all day and then some), it is in leaving then reentering without proper throttling. The sudden torque is what eats up the gears and can jam the cone clutch. On one hand, your boat is light so it the drive will hold up well, on the other though, it is light so it may get flighty. If operating mostly in calm water an XR is more than sufficient. If your airing it out offshore I would want an upgraded drive.