6.2 horizon water distribution question >

6.2 horizon water distribution question

Notices

6.2 horizon water distribution question

Old 09-19-2018, 07:13 PM
Registered

Received 891 Likes on 319 Posts
Default 6.2 horizon water distribution question

pulled a mercruiser 6.2 Horizon Bravo out for a transom rebuild and the water distribution manifold at the lower left of the motor has a small black plastic tube on top that goes some where. it had been behind some of the pulley's and was torn off. where does this thing go to? when looking up the engine there are 4 different manifolds and some are different than this one. any one have any idea? the serial number is 0W012671. also any help on the year and history of this motor (where it was sold) would help as it is not original to the boat. below is a pic that you can see the cut line sticking up.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:20 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Going to bust on you here --- You should know that I would know what that is for haha

- the hose goes straight up and does not go anywhere as it is the air vent line for when draining the water out. It prevents an air lock that could trap water from completely draining out.

I would replace the hose and make sure no blockage for the nipple it attaches to
Old 09-19-2018, 11:23 PM
BUP
Banned

Ill run the info tomorrow for the history and past on this engine - you know how to get ahold me
Old 09-20-2018, 08:02 AM
Registered

thanks BUP. didnt want to call and bug you over something like this so thanks for answering. kinda figured by the look it was for something like that but it had been wrapped in the belt and was so torn up it was hard to tell. any info on this motor will help as we dont know when or where it came from (was it new or pulled from something else. etc). boat has other issues that worry me.

thanks
Old 09-20-2018, 07:23 PM
BUP
Banned

got your info but nothing that is obscure
Old 09-21-2018, 08:05 AM
Registered

mainly just need to know what year it was sold and what part of the country. was it sold as a factory install or to a dealer as a new package. boat has had some odd repairs and I think it was damaged and the engine package was put in as a result but not sure.
thanks
Old 09-23-2018, 10:22 AM
BUP
Banned

Florida
Old 09-23-2018, 10:49 AM
BUP
Banned

This shows a 6.2 L Bravo Horizon and says it was installed in a register of hull 1990 Sea Ray Sundancer - I do have the posted HIN of the Sea Ray if you need it. Is this a 1990 year model Sea Ray Sundancer in your hands ??

One recall in 2006 for the orange alternator wire but that was really not such a big deal. They would get chafed so they had a SB and recall about that - moving the wire and if it needed to be fixed. .IMO heck checking wires in marine apps should be maintenance procedures anyways.

the engine was manu in 3 /9 / 2004

Sold to Edward in Bellair Beach Florida on 6 / 23 / 2004 and warranty was for one whole year - ending 6 / 23 / 2005

Mercruiser using controller ECM 555 has the same typical issues as all the rest for any odd running conditions. Also The ECM has weak capacitors in them as well. I have changed out 5 alone this year for the capacitors internally in the ECM 555. I am not saying this is an exact issue for you but wanted to post that info. .

Last edited by BUP; 09-23-2018 at 10:55 AM.
Old 09-23-2018, 06:51 PM
Registered

yes it is a 90 Sea Ray. was told it was put in in florida but that was all the current owner knew so all that checks out. boat had half of the transom repainted on the ext. from a foot on one side of the gimble to almost the other side. seemed strange that they would only repaint part of the transom. there was bondo in the lower parts of the cut out and it is delaminated on parts of the transom so I am thinking that it was dropped or hit in the rear and broke the transom and drive and had new power put in, but that is a guess. at least I know for sure it was in Fla. as it has a lot of corrosion where the gimble was leaking and I was told the boat was never in salt. now I know why the corrosion.
thanks for looking it up for me. gotta love it when you have zero real history other than a salesman's story.
Old 09-23-2018, 06:53 PM
Registered

as for the capacitors in the 555, can you open them up or are they sealed in epoxy? if the capacitors go bad that is an easy fix unless they seal them or do like Ferrari and coat them so you cant figure out what any of the components are rated for.