Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
851hp 509 ci EMC 2005 Winner >

851hp 509 ci EMC 2005 Winner

Like Tree12Likes

851hp 509 ci EMC 2005 Winner

Reply

Old 10-23-2018, 01:16 PM
  #1
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Peoria, IL
My Boat: Center council
Posts: 2,156
Default 851hp 509 ci EMC 2005 Winner

Here’s a combo to learn from. Engine masters challenge 2005 winner. Peak HP at 6400rpm. Points scored from 2500-6500rpms.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/0603em-emc/

Heads are:
BP RR BB-3 XTRA O™
• 100% CNC Ported
• 24° Valve Angle
• Flows Over 390 cfm
• 298 cc Intake Port
• Exhaust Ports in Stock Location

This is a raised runner oval port.

I also learned that the small high velocity BBC Head King is an 18* Dart. I’m not sure if they make it anymore though. I can’t find it on their website.

https://www.sonnysracingengines.com/...-intake-runner
Keith Atlanta likes this.
hogie roll is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 05:06 PM
  #2
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
iTrader: (7)
 
getrdunn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NW Michigan
My Boat: 12 meter
Posts: 5,711
Default

Nice combo. Good to see the 4150 hp1000 did the job. I quickly read through however I would imagine there was some hours spent on it flowing well over 1,000 cfm. All around good build and time and thought that went into it well spent.
getrdunn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 05:34 PM
  #3
Gold Member
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Delray Beach, FL
My Boat: Baja 342 Raylar HO 600's
Posts: 2,917
Default

Originally Posted by hogie roll View Post

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/0603em-emc/

Heads are:
BP RR BB-3 XTRA O™
• 100% CNC Ported
• 24° Valve Angle
• Flows Over 390 cfm
• 298 cc Intake Port
• Exhaust Ports in Stock Location


That is a great article! Just shows that you cant just throw an engine together. It takes a lot of wisdom and experience to make the big numbers reliably.
Keith Atlanta is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 06:14 PM
  #4
Gold Member
Gold Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: SF Bay Area
My Boat: 1997 Baja Islander 272
Posts: 2,204
Default

There was a lot of love put into that beast. I wish engine masters would do a Bravo drive shootout.

Last edited by Baja Rooster; 10-23-2018 at 07:06 PM.
Baja Rooster is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 06:37 PM
  #5
SB
Registered
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: On A Dirt Floor
Posts: 9,425
Default

Originally Posted by hogie roll View Post
Here’s a combo to learn from. Engine masters challenge 2005 winner. Peak HP at 6400rpm. Points scored from 2500-6500rpms.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/0603em-emc/

Heads are:
BP RR BB-3 XTRA O™
• 100% CNC Ported
• 24° Valve Angle
• Flows Over 390 cfm
• 298 cc Intake Port
• Exhaust Ports in Stock Location

This is a raised runner oval port.

I also learned that the small high velocity BBC Head King is an 18* Dart. I’m not sure if they make it anymore though. I can’t find it on their website.

https://www.sonnysracingengines.com/...-intake-runner
Hogie- are you sure this was the head used ? Article is from 2005 andthis head came out,I think, 3-5 yrs ago ?

There was a raised 24* oval port Brodix head back in the early/mid 2000's that head shops could get, but barely anyone used. wasn't really advertised much,if at all, for some reason. HVH built a pair or two for some EMC guys back then . Did very well.

I believe I have mentioned them a few times here over the years too. Maybe a search will find them.
SB is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 07:27 PM
  #6
Registered
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Murrayville Georgia
My Boat: 1970 Wesco V-drive & 1974 CEE BEE Avenger jet boat
Posts: 1,120
Default

Originally Posted by Baja Rooster View Post
There was a lot of love put into that beast. I wish engine masters would do a Bravo drive shootout.
it would end the same for everyone. big bang and lots of parts on the ground.
Baja Rooster likes this.
compedgemarine is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 10:44 PM
  #7
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Peoria, IL
My Boat: Center council
Posts: 2,156
Default

Originally Posted by SB View Post
Hogie- are you sure this was the head used ? Article is from 2005 andthis head came out,I think, 3-5 yrs ago ?

There was a raised 24* oval port Brodix head back in the early/mid 2000's that head shops could get, but barely anyone used. wasn't really advertised much,if at all, for some reason. HVH built a pair or two for some EMC guys back then . Did very well.

I believe I have mentioned them a few times here over the years too. Maybe a search will find them.
you are correct, this engine used -1BB oval RP.

Last edited by hogie roll; 10-24-2018 at 12:16 PM.
hogie roll is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 11:18 PM
  #8
Registered
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: yorkville,il
My Boat: 31 american offshore,38 fountain fever
Posts: 8,253
Default

did you notice the bore&stroke,not your ordinary 509,also not a pump gas combination,closer to drag race peice.add in.also used a camshaft with a 108 lsa.
TylerBurich likes this.

Last edited by mike tkach; 10-24-2018 at 11:27 PM.
mike tkach is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 10:48 AM
  #9
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
iTrader: (7)
 
getrdunn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NW Michigan
My Boat: 12 meter
Posts: 5,711
Default

Wonder how cam would perform with a point or a point and a half less compression. I didn't catch what build was for but obviously not marine however would be wicked in a 25 cat dry to the tip propped for 6,500.

I find myself reading up HP articles from time to time and often wonder how accurate the numbers are. Kinda like some of the engines you see here and there for sale with an advertised HP and torque. I'd prolly call the majority of them out on it. I could be wrong.

350scarab likes this.
getrdunn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 11:45 AM
  #10
Registered
iTrader: (3)
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: chicago
My Boat: 38 Fountain
Posts: 11,184
Default

Death Rattle…
Detonation is always the limiting factor in this pump-gas war. Cylinder pressure is torque, and torque production equates to power output, so it is no surprise that pushing cylinder pressure to the limits is part of any serious competitor’s program. With 91-octane fuel, the limit of cylinder pressure is constrained by the level at which detonation has the engine feeding upon itself rather than making power. It’s a fuzzy, ill-defined limit that can vary greatly with atmospheric conditions of barometric pressure, temperature, relative humidity, and vapor pressure. The high barometric pressure and October air served to accentuate cylinder pressure and aggravate the potential for devastating detonation. This would prove to have quite a bearing on the competition’s final results

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/0602phr-2005-engine-masters/
MILD THUNDER is offline  
Reply With Quote

OSO Sponsor
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser