thinking about LS swap from twin 454??? >

thinking about LS swap from twin 454???

Notices

thinking about LS swap from twin 454???

Old 10-29-2018, 07:14 AM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
what kind of top speeds were you getting with the 650s compared to stock 496's?
Best ever 94.3 on gps. 91-92 everyday. Stock Ho's, 80-81.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:48 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by jadento
Best ever 94.3 on gps. 91-92 everyday. Stock Ho's, 80-81.
i noticed in the thread with the guy selling those LS engines, that made 651hp, he only saw 88mph in his 32 sunsation. Seemed kinda slow for 650's in that hull.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:20 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
i noticed in the thread with the guy selling those LS engines, that made 651hp, he only saw 88mph in his 32 sunsation. Seemed kinda slow for 650's in that hull.
Sorry not trying to hijack this thread...My advice again is build mild 454's and be on the water all the time without headache...thats being practical. But hey this is a Performance boat website...700hp NA 383 LS's all the way!

MT, Torque? big vs. small block? Maybe he was not propped right? I turned Stock 30 inch bravos to 6K. For another comparison, Bailey had blown 502's in his Dominator similar speed as the NA509's but he turned 32's. Tired his 32's one day and while cruise was up, top speed was down.

Last edited by jadento; 10-29-2018 at 09:22 AM.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:30 AM
Registered

I think like rookie said, sometimes the dyno king number isnt always the fastest setup.

then you have the whole dyno correction factor stuff, plus many dont dyno fully dressed in marine trim. Dyno headers vs manifolds can be significant, as well as sea pump, water pump, alternator, steering pump, etc. That stuff could add up to 50+hp losses
Old 10-29-2018, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i didn't think 650hp na was such a unicorn for a bbc lol we've done 800+ pumpgas friendly out of bbc's,,, but obviously that wouldn't work well in a marine application, too much loss in bottomend.
But anyways to my concerns,,,i'm going to just stick to the 454's,,,i think the ls's wouldn't have torque downlow to match the bb's unless i match the same ci, which then my build would be costly.
I think i have to stop listening to my guys here that want to swap the world with LS lol
Old 10-29-2018, 09:59 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by XtremeCFM
i didn't think 650hp na was such a unicorn for a bbc lol we've done 800+ pumpgas friendly out of bbc's,,, but obviously that wouldn't work well in a marine application, too much loss in bottomend.
But anyways to my concerns,,,i'm going to just stick to the 454's,,,i think the ls's wouldn't have torque downlow to match the bb's unless i match the same ci, which then my build would be costly.
I think i have to stop listening to my guys here that want to swap the world with LS lol
Good plan....as the saying goes. No replacement for displacement!

John
Old 10-29-2018, 10:07 AM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

I remember someone selling a pair of LS after switching out the big blocks in a Fountain because they just didn’t measure up torque wise but I think it was a 33’. So many variables though.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:57 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

the issue isnt isn’t the ability to build it. The issue is making it live in a boat. Plenty of high horsepower apps out there for cars but making them last in a boat is a different animal. Water in exhaust, docking where you’re in and out of gear at low speeds, always at 3500-4500 rpm. Very different than an automotive setup.
Old 10-29-2018, 12:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well aware of the constant abuse of a marine app...done many of them.
I actually think that a NA setup holds up far better then a boosted one...that constant wot for 5 to 10 min straight under boost is pure torture,,,god forbid you have a slight fuel distribution, its going to eat a piston real fast.
i plan on running a dry exhaust setup in the boat also
Old 10-29-2018, 12:52 PM
Registered

Boosted is by far the more reliable and safer setup once you get into the 600+hp range. Nobody sells more hi performance marine engines than mercury, and they know this.

biggest weaklink in a marine engine is the valvetrain. Boosted engines dont need radical valvetrains to make big power.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.