Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
thinking about LS swap from twin 454??? >

thinking about LS swap from twin 454???

Notices

thinking about LS swap from twin 454???

Old 10-29-2018, 12:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

true, once you cross over that power level, boosted is the only way to make it,,,,but makes my ass pucker thinking about keeping each cylinder equally happy when laying in the throttle lol
Old 10-29-2018, 01:05 PM
Registered

Received 1,329 Likes on 742 Posts

Why don't more use the LS7 (427) based LS motors? At least for a boat it would help with displacement. Seems a SC version would be a nice package.

I keep wondering how these would be if you just wanted light weight and smaller footprint as a replacement for HP 500's. For the ski boat world PCM says it will give you a 5 year warranty on them.

http://www.gmpowertrain.com/engines/...0Sheet.pdf?v=2
Old 10-29-2018, 01:09 PM
Registered

Received 1,329 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I think like rookie said, sometimes the dyno king number isnt always the fastest setup.

then you have the whole dyno correction factor stuff, plus many dont dyno fully dressed in marine trim. Dyno headers vs manifolds can be significant, as well as sea pump, water pump, alternator, steering pump, etc. That stuff could add up to 50+hp losses
Joe you would love this, I seen one builder selling 650 HP 540 cu in motors. Shows the dyno run, long tube headers, no accessories even running a electric water pump.

Add water pumps, alternator, power steering pump, manifolds, wet exhaust,,,,,, I would like to see the numbers then.
Old 10-29-2018, 01:13 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
Why don't more use the LS7 (427) based LS motors? At least for a boat it would help with displacement. Seems a SC version would be a nice package.

I keep wondering how these would be if you just wanted light weight and smaller footprint as a replacement for HP 500's. For the ski boat world PCM says it will give you a 5 year warranty on them.

http://www.gmpowertrain.com/engines/...0Sheet.pdf?v=2
Ill speculate that the main reason is 427 is the limit where most here want 502s at a minimum where even 454s aren’t enough, and the LS is still cost prohibitive. In 30’ and less they seem perfect.
Old 10-29-2018, 03:40 PM
VIP Member
Platinum Member

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Baja Rooster

I remember someone selling a pair of LS after switching out the big blocks in a Fountain because they just didn’t measure up torque wise but I think it was a 33’. So many variables though.
I was thinking about the "no replacement for displacement" comment and remembered I had a graph of the dyno results from my old 509s (HP500s w/Marine Kinetics CAM w/AFR heads) to compare against Dennis' 416CI LS3 motors from Swap Shop. I added the numbers from his dyno sheet to compare.....

Old 10-29-2018, 04:52 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

242LS, interesting graph. The torque and HP advantage from 4-5k is pretty decent on the 509. Looks like the 509 runs out of cam/valve train past 6K. But I would not think you would want to spin a BBC boat motor much past 6K anyway. Beyond that there is obviously so many many other factors than just displacement. There are some pretty cool comparisons of stuff like this on "motortrendondemand" specifically the engine masters series. You can watch them for free with advertisements. But I pay the $4 a month for the membership. There is so much content. I hardly even watch regular TV anymore.

John
Old 10-29-2018, 04:52 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Cool graph to compare.Thanks.

Speaking of 32 Sunsations vs engines Any of you guys remember Domscott from Speedwake days? Older nonstepped 32 Sunsation Dominator. 502's/fact rect heads other than springs and etc/ 741 cams/ lightning headers / small 174blowers/nose cones on the Bravo's and Sternjack's of all things ran just over 100.
Old 10-29-2018, 05:07 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Dyno graphs and sheets are a nice discussion piece but a lot of variables can alter them. Correction factor, how the engine was dynoed meaning accessories and exhaust. Although an invaluable tool for tuning and setting up a new engine they aren’t the end all be all. Many guys show high dyno numbers and the boat is no faster or barely faster than same hull with stock power. I believe the 32 sunny mentioned is one of those. While the LS dyno sheets look good I think I saw stayed in the ad he only ran 88. Some quick research shows the non stepped take about 700 and the stepped about 600 to get near 100.
Old 10-29-2018, 05:21 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
Cool graph to compare.Thanks.

Speaking of 32 Sunsations vs engines Any of you guys remember Domscott from Speedwake days? Older nonstepped 32 Sunsation Dominator. 502's/fact rect heads other than springs and etc/ 741 cams/ lightning headers / small 174blowers/nose cones on the Bravo's and Sternjack's of all things ran just over 100.
Yes I met Scott may years ago at the Sunsation Rally. Think the boat was bright green and black. Your details sound right and yes he said it would run 100. Personally I didnt really buy it, but whatever. Like ive already said. The 509's in the Sunsation I had dynoed at 650hp(dyno headers, no accessories) and it did 92 as an average. You can do the math.

Thats also when/where I met Bailey with procharged 502's that I mentioned earlier.

John
Old 10-29-2018, 05:22 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

Great graph. If you can get the engines up to 5600 those engines would scream until the bravo melted. Are those engines with blowers? That would seem mandatory on an LS.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.