mercury 260 RPM loss

Notices

mercury 260 RPM loss

Old 10-28-2018, 03:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mercury 260 RPM loss

Hello Everyone,

My dad and I bought a Skater in April. After dissecting the boat and getting everything the way we want it, we have been experiencing an issue with the one of the engines. When idling in neutral the engines run the at the same RPM. The only noticeable thing is the right engine is not as crisp and loud as the left on start. After, when putting a load on the engines; going into forward, there is a drop in RPM on the right engine about 300 RPM difference. After plain and about half throttle the difference is 1000 RPM. For example, the left is at 4000 and the right at 3000. When at WOT, the left shoots to 7000 and the right takes a little while to catch up. They both don't go over 7000. Now, I also believe the left engine is stationary at 7000 because it has to take a load from the lazy right engine. I have replaced the stator, trigger, power packs, rectifiers, tried the stock ECU and than switched to a brand new Brucato, changed fuel pump, switched tach gauges, switched coil packs, took off regulators, tried three different batteries, new throttle arm spring, changed lower cap seals, checked fuel vent/filters, checked for clogged vacuum lines, changed nipple from ecu to throttle body, reeds look mint and also switched the fuel rails/injectors. The compression is 142-145, and all voltages on the engine look good.
What else is there to do? Im at a loss!

Thanks,
Billy
Old 10-29-2018, 02:08 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

I'm assuming some kind of outboard engines??
You would probably have better luck getting info on Scream and Fly.
Old 10-29-2018, 12:14 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Sometimes for 2 stroke outboards a compression test is not that detailed for internal results. Believe it or not many in the industry perform leakdown testing on 2 stroke outboards. IMO its always best to pull the heads on 2 strokes and visual inspect the cyc walls and so forth.

Next --- propellers for loss of rpm and or lower unit gear ratio s ?? is both gear ratios the same ? anything changed out there or a lower unit rebuilt ?

Ignition coils ??

fuel pressure vs rpms ??