buying a factory sealed 496HO with almost 500 hours >

buying a factory sealed 496HO with almost 500 hours

Notices

buying a factory sealed 496HO with almost 500 hours

Old 11-08-2018, 11:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
I do BUT MERC has a good repair kit for their stock unit UNTIL it completely fails. I even moded and added to the merc repair kit to offer a better kit on top of. It works perfectly bar none. the repair kit I have comes in 2 versions and not pricey at all. Whats helps with this kit it retains a true merc made impeller. And Yes Merc OEM impellers are the best to use for their apps.
Good to know thanks.

I heard some reports of early bearing failures on the Hardin pumps, you know how the internet is....might be just a small number of failures overall. (I notice they now only sell with pulley's installed, unless you are a dealer, so might have had problems with customer installing pulleys, putting too much load on the shaft)

Last edited by motuman; 11-08-2018 at 11:41 PM.
Old 11-08-2018, 11:39 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I never ordered the hardin pump without the pulley installed. Then it is best to check belt alignment across ALL the pulleys INCLUDING THE HARDIN already installed pulley. Double make sure about true ALIGNMENT. EVEN belt alignment being off can hurt pulley and pump bearings. It puts extra strain on them with off alignments
Old 11-09-2018, 12:48 AM
Registered

Received 122 Likes on 83 Posts

I'm at 556hrs on 06 496HO. I purchased at 300hrs. Parts replaced... IAC, Alternator, Circulating pump, starter. Last 3 years have ran Whipple Stage 2 tune on the pcm. Compression numbers are the same now as at 300hrs.

I would have no worries at 500hrs assuming the following are done.....
Engines need scanned to check run time vs rpm intervals, fault history. Compression test.

I would also not worry about the Bravo at 500hrs. The oil/magnet look like new when drained on my X.

There are hundreds of threads on 496 maintenance and problem areas.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:28 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

the anti freeze per Merc is 5 years or 500 hours which ever comes first. And here is some other timeframes
Old 11-09-2018, 09:58 AM
Registered

Received 66 Likes on 38 Posts

I have never owned a 496, but I am 100% sure BUP is correct on the old 350/454 carb motors. Its like your first issue with those motors is replacing 20 year old plug wires! If a guy just wanted cheap(er), low issues boating, finding a nice mid 80's to early 2000's rig with those type of motors is a good way to go. I went with a stock 502 mag in 2000 and it has been VERY good, BUT, I can't help but think that the FI and associated parts won't start giving me some fits from a just aging standpoint. In another 10 years, I don't know if I'll even be able to change the fuel pump on that thing! LOL
Old 11-09-2018, 12:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan00TJ
I'm at 556hrs on 06 496HO. I purchased at 300hrs. Parts replaced... IAC, Alternator, Circulating pump, starter. Last 3 years have ran Whipple Stage 2 tune on the pcm. Compression numbers are the same now as at 300hrs.

I would have no worries at 500hrs assuming the following are done.....
Engines need scanned to check run time vs rpm intervals, fault history. Compression test.

I would also not worry about the Bravo at 500hrs. The oil/magnet look like new when drained on my X.

There are hundreds of threads on 496 maintenance and problem areas.
Thanks for the reply. I am pretty familiar with the 496's, though I have never owned one, and I would have expected a similar history on this engine. I'm kind of surprised to see so few repairs needed up to this point, which is kind of the reason for the post. Have others gone this far with so few repairs needed? Or can I reasonably expect most of those items (mentioned by you and BUP) to go in the next couple of years?

Doesn't give the buyer much leverage though, if the current owner is not a mechanically savvy...i.e. "hey your boat has run perfect for the last 10 years, and currently doesn't need anything (per PPI), so I'd like a discount in consideration for all the parts that are overdue to fail" :-)