Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Looking for merc raw water pump with side inlet/exit not backside in/out? >

Looking for merc raw water pump with side inlet/exit not backside in/out?

Notices

Looking for merc raw water pump with side inlet/exit not backside in/out?

Old 11-17-2018, 10:11 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

it pinch bolts the round snout only. So if one does not put another bracket to keep the housing itself from rotating -- how could the housing not rotate if the pinch bolt is not tighten enough or comes loose.

Its a pinch bolt only mount to the snout of the shaft housing. In that area you have a shaft - seals - and bearings. SO IMO the shaft snout is not as strong as the front body of the complete housing and its using 4 or 5 bolts to mount instead of a pinch bolt around a round shaft body.

Look at pic 2 from the first OP post above. Thats a bracket I would use for the GEN IV pump if one could mount that to the housing.

Teague bracket is super nice and heavy as hell do not get me wrong about that. BUT IMO I do not like pinch bolt mounts -- Pic s below of what I am talking about

Last edited by BUP; 11-17-2018 at 11:16 AM.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:15 AM
BUP
Banned

Front side
Old 11-17-2018, 10:18 AM
BUP
Banned

back side -- snout mount only with a pinch bolt.
Old 11-17-2018, 11:10 AM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by rv

Do you have Gen 1 or 2, when you look in from fitting do you see edge of impeller vains (gen 1) or are they blocked off by a plate so you don’t see them?
I believe that you can see the impeller through the nipple fittings.

https://www.hardin-marine.com/p-1454...rhaul-kit.aspx

Here you can see the bottom one headed straight for the engine mount so I put a 90 on it. The oem hose was a molded 90. I hadn’t swapped out the upper straight one for the 45 yet.

Old 11-17-2018, 11:18 AM
BUP
Banned

if one has the backside room for a 90 degree fitting -- they sell them to.

https://www.hardin-marine.com/p-1435...90-degree.aspx
Old 11-18-2018, 02:45 PM
Registered

Received 257 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
it pinch bolts the round snout only. So if one does not put another bracket to keep the housing itself from rotating -- how could the housing not rotate if the pinch bolt is not tighten enough or comes loose.

Its a pinch bolt only mount to the snout of the shaft housing. In that area you have a shaft - seals - and bearings. SO IMO the shaft snout is not as strong as the front body of the complete housing and its using 4 or 5 bolts to mount instead of a pinch bolt around a round shaft body.

Look at pic 2 from the first OP post above. Thats a bracket I would use for the GEN IV pump if one could mount that to the housing.

Teague bracket is super nice and heavy as hell do not get me wrong about that. BUT IMO I do not like pinch bolt mounts -- Pic s below of what I am talking about
i'd like to think teague checked that out before building them. i've got 30 hours on mine with no problems, guess i'll see. i would think that the roundness of where it clamps puts even pressure on the housing, plus its stainless so its stronger than aluminum.

the mount in his post is what kept flexing on me, enough to throw the belt.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That pinch bolt arrangement is interesting, but would move the pump body even more rearward to get belt alignment right
Old 01-16-2019, 04:32 PM
Registered

Received 257 Likes on 103 Posts

the flat bracket or the teague bracket still hold the pump is roughly the same spot. the pulley in your first post along with the teague bracket would let the pump be as far forward as possible. or make a flat bracket that kicks out to the side and get a longer belt?