Fuel issues!!! >

Fuel issues!!!

Notices

Fuel issues!!!

Old 12-01-2018, 10:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel issues!!!

What’s up fellas, i have a fountain with 500 efis always ran premium gas & when I switched to non-ethanol, she started running bad? What y’all think?
Old 12-01-2018, 11:04 PM
Registered

Received 928 Likes on 337 Posts

for one stop using premium. it is an 8.2 comp motor. it will run cleaner and make more power on 87 octane like it was designed for.
Old 12-01-2018, 11:06 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

the 500 efi is designed to run on 87 octane fuel,i would think non ethanol would be an improvement.i suspect the non ethanol fuel is not the problem.maybe you got fuel that had water in it.
Old 12-01-2018, 11:17 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

I run 90 non ethanol exclusively with no issues. Change the fuel filters and pour them in a glass container. See if there is any debris or water.
Old 12-02-2018, 12:44 AM
Registered

Received 4,620 Likes on 1,324 Posts

ethanol and non ethanol don`t mix well at all.
Old 12-02-2018, 07:03 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

Also have you had your fuel injectors cleaned and flowed professionally? 500 EFI is known for injector issues. BUP has posted on the service and has replacement injectors in the works for the no longer made stock injectors.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:31 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by compedgemarine
for one stop using premium. it is an 8.2 comp motor. it will run cleaner and make more power on 87 octane like it was designed for.
merc claims 8.75.ratio.
Old 12-02-2018, 11:12 AM
Registered

Received 928 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
merc claims 8.75.ratio.
all I know is back when we raced a bunch of them, when torn down for refresh none of them worked out to better than 8.2 to 8.4 when the numbers were crunched. of course they also rate them at 500 hp and most of ours were between 520 and 530 hp. depending on how much time was on them. fresh ones were less than ones with a 30 or 40 hours on them. back then at 100-110 hours we would change out the valve springs and lifters as that seemed to be the only real weak spot for them racing. keep in mind that they spent that 100 hours at 4500 rpm and up almost the whole time.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:43 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by VoodooRob
Also have you had your fuel injectors cleaned and flowed professionally? 500 EFI is known for injector issues. BUP has posted on the service and has replacement injectors in the works for the no longer made stock injectors.
VR thanks for the plug. I have talked to him as he has reached out to me. the jist is --- fuel samples and all filters need to changed and checked, Fuel pressure testing and ecm scanning and so forth need to be done. also a tune up in the mix. -- check spark plugs very closely and compression testing is also a good start to keep tabs on internal conditions. . and lets not forget the MULTEC fuel injectors here. they are paper weights.. THEY the MULTECS and even injectors in general have a self life just like we do.

WHAT AMAZES me is people will think about carburetors being cleaned and rebuilt with new kits all the time actually everyday plus I get those calls --- I need my carb cleaned and rebuilt --- but people never think about the injectors for that same end... I find that amazing. Keep in mind the injectors are the metering fuel source for any engine just like a carb. The next bit of advice is ALL the marine OEMs even in class bring up that since all products of theirs is EFI --- the INJECTORS and fuel systems are part maintenance and stay on top of it. Fuel samples are a really good indication of what is needed and where to start. quality fuel filters are a must as well.

For the OP I would --- start with the basics --- fuel - air -- spark all of that has to be good and correct - and of course a know marine person to scan the engine.

E 10 in my area has been here fully 100 percent almost 16 years and I do not have issues with it. and is used here by all the locals since day one 16 years ago. Of course for usage in stock and very mild bumped compression ratio marine engines anything above that I would stay away from the average pump gas .

Next I am only a road trip away and have everything to find and fix all and any issues in hand. Just saying. good luck.

Last edited by BUP; 12-03-2018 at 10:50 AM.