500efi rebuilds >

500efi rebuilds

Notices

500efi rebuilds

Old 12-21-2018, 01:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 500efi rebuilds

So a good friend and I pick up a couple merc 500efis for a decent price. So now were on the hunt for a decent set of heads and cam package for these things to make them run decent. Not shootin for the moon power wise but if we can make it to the 6's and not break the bank we'd both be pretty happy!!

Any OSO recommendations for a top end from someone??

2 502's bored .030 over about ready to go back together!

Thanks!!
Old 12-21-2018, 02:06 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

where are you located? Frank at FU marine can do it, but to get into the 6's you will need the bigger throttle bodies and such, i have 2 complete intake systems with with injectors for sale as well, going to have to tune the computer as well.
Old 12-21-2018, 05:52 PM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts

Takes a lot to make additional power with 500s. It also takes a lot of $$$. This is from personal experience. Aluminum Heads, compression, honed intakes, throttle bodies, Injectors, port matching everything. More cubes, total mefi re programming and calibration. Made 639HP, fully dressed, with my ,CMIs. Very happy and Reliable. But not easy nor cheap.
Old 12-21-2018, 06:10 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by cigrocket
Takes a lot to make additional power with 500s. It also takes a lot of $$$. This is from personal experience. Aluminum Heads, compression, honed intakes, throttle bodies, Injectors, port matching everything. More cubes, total mefi re programming and calibration. Made 639HP, fully dressed, with my ,CMIs. Very happy and Reliable. But not easy nor cheap.
Thats pretty much what i was planning along with a full aftermarket fuel system and bigger injectors.

im shootin for 600... for now, then ill have a nice platform to throw some boost at it later
Old 12-21-2018, 06:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
where are you located? Frank at FU marine can do it, but to get into the 6's you will need the bigger throttle bodies and such, i have 2 complete intake systems with with injectors for sale as well, going to have to tune the computer as well.
Im in SoCal. I was trying to find the parts to make the factory 500 TB a monoblade, i can machine the body myself but no luck.

What do you have for sale?
Old 12-21-2018, 07:17 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,051 Likes on 1,357 Posts

A non modified 500 EFI TB can make 630hp with the correct components, Ive done it in full marine trim with CMI sweepers, get out your big boy check book.....

Last edited by F-2 Speedy; 12-21-2018 at 07:24 PM.
Old 12-22-2018, 10:40 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Hdgasser
Im in SoCal. I was trying to find the parts to make the factory 500 TB a monoblade, i can machine the body myself but no luck.

What do you have for sale?
you can easily turn the 500 tbs into 525 mono blades if you have machining capabilitys. You can buy replacement 525 blades from merc for about 42$each. Big problem is you will need to buy 525 fas as the flange will be gone at that point BUT the 500 fas kill hp, the 525s cost virtually no hp in my dyno testing, Smitty
Old 12-22-2018, 12:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by articfriends
you can easily turn the 500 tbs into 525 mono blades if you have machining capabilitys. You can buy replacement 525 blades from merc for about 42$each. Big problem is you will need to buy 525 fas as the flange will be gone at that point BUT the 500 fas kill hp, the 525s cost virtually no hp in my dyno testing, Smitty
if i could do it myself and save some $$$ and make some extra HP im all for it. But im not gonna spend 5-600 on a TB for a few HP just to turn around and rip it off when i slap a whipple on this thing next year.

I think ill get by just fine with what i got. Thanks for the input!!
Old 12-22-2018, 01:51 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Hdgasser
if i could do it myself and save some $$$ and make some extra HP im all for it. But im not gonna spend 5-600 on a TB for a few HP just to turn around and rip it off when i slap a whipple on this thing next year.

I think ill get by just fine with what i got. Thanks for the input!!
thats the thing about it, it isnt cheap and if you are going to whipple it no sense in doing it, i was at 640, and i had the ASM monoblade, bigger injectors, bigger fuel pump, etc and it ran great on 87 octane, what i have for sale is upper and lower manifolds, ASM throttle bodies, injectors and fuel rails. its for the guy that wants to go to 640 hp and run it for a few years.
Old 12-22-2018, 03:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
thats the thing about it, it isnt cheap and if you are going to whipple it no sense in doing it, i was at 640, and i had the ASM monoblade, bigger injectors, bigger fuel pump, etc and it ran great on 87 octane, what i have for sale is upper and lower manifolds, ASM throttle bodies, injectors and fuel rails. its for the guy that wants to go to 640 hp and run it for a few years.
What/whos heads and cam are you running? And what size injectors?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.