big block piston squirters >

big block piston squirters

Notices

big block piston squirters

Old 12-23-2018, 11:04 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default big block piston squirters

Has any member installed piston squirters in a gen 6 gm 502 ? I have seen jiggs/drills and parts for other motors. they are common in many other motors i"ve seen. I bought two new ones and marine heads, they are apart now and it was on the wish list. thank you in advance
Old 12-23-2018, 01:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

Are you building a boosted engine? From what I have read, its good on a turbo or blower engine but the benefits are not there on a NA engine.
Old 12-23-2018, 01:54 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

some engines have them right from stock builds and I have them and valve spring oilers on NA engines using dry sump. .

Last edited by BUP; 12-23-2018 at 02:05 PM.
Old 12-23-2018, 01:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by stingrayrat
Has any member installed piston squirters in a gen 6 gm 502 ? I have seen jiggs/drills and parts for other motors. they are common in many other motors i"ve seen. I bought two new ones and marine heads, they are apart now and it was on the wish list. thank you in advance
You dont really need them unless you have a dry sump engine, If its wet sump and you add squirters, you will put a lot of oil up there, Not required, With a dry sump engine they are so efficent its good to have but again, you would need to be making a lot of power to require them..
Old 12-23-2018, 03:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

CV products makes a kit for BBC for use with a dry sump system.
Old 12-23-2018, 03:20 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I made a set up that has a direct shot to the piston. They also shut off under 50psi oil pressure. Unless these are going to be big power probably not worth it.
Old 12-23-2018, 09:10 PM
Registered

no boost, they are common in high winding vw ,porche audi and LS motors. I have built 427 big blocks for my midyear cars that rev and been forgiving when I miss a gear. after dry sumping and turbocharging my sandrail it made very crisp throttle with MSD and rev limit. So I asked I marine engine builder whom speaks clear . can I destroke then bore to 4.600 and make it run like my car. he said { whats the point ?}. so in the interest of keeping dependability I am looking at cams around .580 lift/ 114 LSA and fuel injection profile. heads 65hours portwork per pair and matching stealth intakes . may go crank triggers and beltdrives. I asked about the 600 dollar imitation belt drives and nobody I know in Indy area has bought one. reminder goal is 600 TQ/ 600 HP . bought Howard spings , HarlenSharp roller rockers and PBM lifters. looking for dock manners and smooth flat pull like a diesel from 2800- 6200 rpm. I don't want to damage the trannies or drives . looking for quality build with aluminum flywheels and proper balance. I"ve messed with hemi"s, pontiacs, ford FE, vw and so forth , You notice the oil system and ignition system when looking at endurance. { troys Jacksonville , on you tube} is exactly my goal other than drives. If the the boat was not such a dream i would not have sold boat I bought 18 months before. also on oil pumps , are the billet better than a m77 . i am using the 8 qt factory pans with merc 4" cast and ss exhaust. I'm about $3-4 k from being done with motors, boat has been microsanded/ cut and buffed,waxed . need some seatwork. microsanded and urethaned teak . purchased a ss arc from a boat that burned to grab on when boarding. missed PRI 2 weeks ago and did not get to see the new goodies. thought hard about diesels and LS repower but all the fabrication cost more than the 502s . around here big blocks are not as much as a swap. the 454ls6 motors were old tech and my heart was not in it. I am trying to plan accordingly then have them assembled and dynoed by local experts. loose or tight bearings/ coated? low friction rings ? I don"t know as its a new direction from building muscle car engines. I prefer American everthing first but admire any impute from any gear head . the engines are the new style with fuel pump boss and extra oil ports, stock forged cranks ,dot rods and je small domes. sold cams and aluminum heads, bought the gen 6 marine squares. may just use good head bolts with felpro marine gaskets. anybody got some opinions . budget minded , thanks again
Old 12-24-2018, 01:48 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

No need to reinvent the wheel to make a 600hp 502/509 ci engine. I agree with the builder....whats the point??
No reason for piston oilers on a 600hp n/a engine that will make peak HP in the 5600rpm range.
Old 12-24-2018, 06:52 AM
Registered

I take advice from craftsman and answer so far is { not for wet sump or low HP } next question about oil squirters {valve springs would be easy to fab } . would like to pin the throttle and let them eat without constant maintenance . not race engines, like a short stroke motor. are the new gen 6 blocks good as delivered ? or do they need more oil passage work ? if I'm beating this to death its because I don"t know Marine engines and only get one turn at bat. opinions
Old 12-24-2018, 11:33 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Merc motors have been in raceboats for years. They get ran about as hard as any for extended periods. Never heard of them redoing oil passages.

Last edited by Crude Intentions; 12-24-2018 at 11:50 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.