2.3 L whipple on 496 >

2.3 L whipple on 496

Notices

2.3 L whipple on 496

Old 01-05-2019, 10:05 AM
Registered

Received 124 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
True. When I did my engines I replumbed with new fuel tank pickups from CP Performance and new braided lines.

I wonder if thats why some guys have fuel pressure variations with Raylar setups such as me running 46 PSI and others needing to run 58 PSI. But I have big pickups and lines. Maybe thats why some guys are having issues.
I strongly believe that was the problem. Stock fuel setups, adj fuel psi regulator, add 100hp, bump psi from 42 to 51. Monitoring air/fuel ratio? Nope. Raylar says it's fine. BOOM!!!!
Old 01-06-2019, 05:19 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan00TJ
Sounds like you have a good starting point. Definately listen to Larry's suggestions. You'll want to stay 4-5psi with the 2.3l. Whipple moved from the 2.3 to 3.3 blower as it was maxed out around the 650hp range. Do you have the complete Whipple kit?

Alot of necessary updates came with the 3.3l kit. Larger injectors, 3bar boost referenced map sensor, complete aeromotive fuel system. Whipple tunes the 555pcm for a STOCK 496. Yours with the upgraded cam, heads, stroke, etc will not run correctly on that programming. You will need some extensive tuning work to make it right.

Nice setup, but will require alot of time/tuning/$$ to dial it in correctly. Whipple has great products. Unless you can talk to Dustin, their customer service is lacking.
I have sent an email to Dennis at Whipple asking what the differences between the 2.3 l kit and the 3.3 l kit are.
Hopfully he will respond in the next few days.
Do you think I would only be able to get to 650 hp with the 2.3l
Old 01-06-2019, 08:33 AM
Registered

Received 124 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by AusScarab29

I have sent an email to Dennis at Whipple asking what the differences between the 2.3 l kit and the 3.3 l kit are.
Hopfully he will respond in the next few days.
Do you think I would only be able to get to 650 hp with the 2.3l
I'd venture 680ish depending on boost. Torque will be killer! The 2.3l is small for what your doing but will work.

https://www.performanceboats.com/outdrives/20876-time-whipple-raylar-parts-5.html#/topics/20876?page=15

Copy and paste that link in your browser. It won't highlight for some reason.

Last edited by Ryan00TJ; 01-06-2019 at 08:36 AM.
Old 01-06-2019, 08:54 AM
Registered

Received 738 Likes on 379 Posts

to bad your not here in the states,,I'd build it as you want and then send it to Mark Boos and have him dyno tune it and even then you may need to fly the ecu back for some fine tuning.just did this w/ some 572 twin whipple monsters.give Mark good data and he'll get it dialed in.
Old 01-06-2019, 05:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Ryan00TJ
I'd venture 680ish depending on boost. Torque will be killer! The 2.3l is small for what your doing but will work.

https://www.performanceboats.com/out.../20876?page=15

Copy and paste that link in your browser. It won't highlight for some reason.
Thanks great post ,
he got 650 hp that was with stock heads ,no stroker crank and a smaller cam.
It was mentioned that the block was only good for around 700 hp,I will have to look into that.
Old 01-06-2019, 05:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sutphen 30
to bad your not here in the states,,I'd build it as you want and then send it to Mark Boos and have him dyno tune it and even then you may need to fly the ecu back for some fine tuning.just did this w/ some 572 twin whipple monsters.give Mark good data and he'll get it dialed in.
I wish was in the states too not very many options for marine engine builders and dyno's here.
The engine builder has had it for two months already