Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
OE Hydraulic Steering No Assist >

OE Hydraulic Steering No Assist

Notices

OE Hydraulic Steering No Assist

Old 01-20-2019, 03:52 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

At this point and as most mention above, the issue most likely lies in the Control Valve Assembly on the rack.
I'm leaning your way, but could also be the pump. If you can let go of the wheel and it doesn't immediately start turning to port, then probably the rack, but if it does then might be the pump. If you have some hydraulic gaguges you could check the pump
Old 01-20-2019, 04:11 PM
Registered

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by AllDodge
I'm leaning your way, but could also be the pump. If you can let go of the wheel and it doesn't immediately start turning to port, then probably the rack, but if it does then might be the pump. If you have some hydraulic gaguges you could check the pump
Thanks, as described above the pump is new and the steering behaves the same as with the old unit.

The boat tracks straight on plane and off when I let go of the wheel while on the water. On plane the steering wheel has to be wrestled right, idle speed and on trailer much heavier steering to the right.

Would the control valve be the only failure point of the rack or can the steering cable tube come into play as well? I ask as a member above mentioned they have a control valve and figure that would be much easier to replace than the entire rack.

Keith

Last edited by Tractionless; 01-20-2019 at 04:13 PM.
Old 01-20-2019, 04:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Tractionless
Thanks, as described above the pump is new and the steering behaves the same as with the old unit.

The boat tracks straight on plane and off when I let go of the wheel while on the water. On plane the steering wheel has to be wrestled right, idle speed and on trailer much heavier steering to the right.

Would the control valve be the only failure point of the rack or can the steering cable tube come into play as well? I ask as a member above mentioned they have a control valve and figure that would be much easier to replace than the entire rack.

Keith
The control is a shuttle valve which slides one side or the other as the cable is moved. If the valve moves easy and there are no internal leaks, then it should slide either way easy. I have not tried to replace just the control, think its easier (for me) to replace the rack.

Old 01-22-2019, 05:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by AllDodge
The control is a shuttle valve which slides one side or the other as the cable is moved. If the valve moves easy and there are no internal leaks, then it should slide either way easy. I have not tried to replace just the control, think its easier (for me) to replace the rack.
Thanks for the schooling!!!

I purchased an entire new rack. No reason to take a chance. I only have the Merc. Manual #1 and Claymer which are both engine and stops with the PS pump.

Is there a dang pivot bolt attaching the rack at the bottom as well as the one staring me in the face on the top? I sure hope not

​​​​​​​Keith
Old 01-22-2019, 06:32 PM
Registered

Your correct only the one.
The hardest part to remove/install the rack is the tabs that keep the top and bottom bolts in place. Those tabs need to be beny clear to remove, and bent back in place to secure. The pivot bolts do not go clear thru
Old 01-26-2019, 12:45 PM
Registered

Thanks AD! Not sure I can tackle the bottom bolt myself so crossing my fingers my friend (mechanic) can help me tomorrow, maybe not as there's a 90% change of rain. If not maybe the mobile boat mechanic I use can do it this week so I can make it on the water Sunday.

I'll keep the thread updated as to the results.

Keith
Old 01-26-2019, 01:04 PM
Registered

Received 177 Likes on 114 Posts

Keith, Look at a paint can opener about a buck ($1.00) and I think you can get the tab started. Once it is started it is fairly easy to finish opening it up, laying it flat. The bolt is not tight no worry there.

Keith, did you pick up the Teague take off?

Last edited by GLENAMY 242SS; 01-26-2019 at 01:17 PM.
Old 01-27-2019, 01:51 AM
Registered

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Curious to know final outcome.
Old 01-27-2019, 05:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by GLENAMY 242SS
Keith, Look at a paint can opener about a buck ($1.00) and I think you can get the tab started. Once it is started it is fairly easy to finish opening it up, laying it flat. The bolt is not tight no worry there.

Keith, did you pick up the Teague take off?
Got one, Home Depot gives them free with paint now!

Mechanic buddy didn't help today as it rained all day. Hesitant to call the boat mechanic because he makes a huge grease mess for me to clean each time and will probably just let the power steering fluid drain in the bilge, ugh!!

I don't have alot of SAE tools as all of my previous wrenching experience has been with metric.
Does anyone know the size socket needed for the pivot bolt heads.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:10 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Steering

1 inch just backed out lower bolt e nuff to pull unit it was ruff but doable

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.