Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Q & A (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q-20/)
-   -   Aftermarket Ignition (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-q/358662-aftermarket-ignition.html)

RBeyer 01-20-2019 03:06 PM

Aftermarket Ignition

What are the thoughts on best aftermarket ignition? Of course we have MSD I am also hearing good things about CD-1. Any of the pro's out there have thoughts? I am looking to do full system to include coils and distributors.

14 apache 01-20-2019 04:05 PM

Good time to buy ecu and coil packs and you can go fuel injection later on. Just a thought.

Craney 01-20-2019 04:40 PM

DUi

getrdunn 01-20-2019 07:00 PM

The old school thunderbolt works fine with rarely hearing of failures but with that said I was starting from scratch and purchased some DUI's for the simplicity and again very reliable and good for practically any NA build within reason. Many including myself have went the Daytona sensors route for reliability over over the MSD. Not to mention you can map out your timing curve to your specific build. Ideal for SC or NA and I've yet to hear of a failure. If you go MSD plan on keeping an extra ign box onboard. Plus the distributors corrode quickly unless you coat them with crc or something similar.

In a nutshell I guess it depends on what your doing or have for power and where you might plan on going in the future. DUI is hard to beat for the price, simplicity and reliability. If your looking at over 650 hp go the Daytona sensor route. Your engines will like it.

RBeyer 01-20-2019 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by getrdunn (Post 4668957)
The old school thunderbolt works fine with rarely hearing of failures but with that said I was starting from scratch and purchased some DUI's for the simplicity and again very reliable and good for practically any NA build within reason. Many including myself have went the Daytona sensors route for reliability over over the MSD. Not to mention you can map out your timing curve to your specific build. Ideal for SC or NA and I've yet to hear of a failure. If you go MSD plan on keeping an extra ign box onboard. Plus the distributors corrode quickly unless you coat them with crc or something similar.

In a nutshell I guess it depends on what your doing or have for power and where you might plan on going in the future. DUI is hard to beat for the price, simplicity and reliability. If your looking at over 650 hp go the Daytona sensor route. Your engines will like it.

They are Hawk 525SC's it would be nice to lock timing on cold starts etc. They will probably get bigger blowers in the future.

SABER28 01-20-2019 08:18 PM

ive got daytona cd-1 ignitions. work great ,no problems. why would you buy MSD when they are nothing but problems for so many of us?

getrdunn 01-20-2019 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by SABER28 (Post 4668970)
ive got daytona cd-1 ignitions. work great ,no problems. why would you buy MSD when they are nothing but problems for so many of us?

Here ya go. Btw OT ck out the old thread that recently got ttt. Good info especially for your SC builds.

Rookie 01-20-2019 08:36 PM

Out of curiosity, what is the obsession with DUI distributors? They seem to be a non programmable overpriced HEI ignition. What is its superiority to a thunderbolt ignition? Am I missing something? I run Crane HI-6M's and T-Bolt distributors, nothing fancy, just dependable and have 8 or so different timing curves with knock retard. I have Daytona ignitions laying around, but haven't felt the need to switch yet. Probably when I finally go forced induction I'll switch.

RBeyer 01-20-2019 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by SABER28 (Post 4668970)

That's why I'm asking!

Crude Intentions 01-20-2019 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by RBeyer (Post 4668965)
They are Hawk 525SC's it would be nice to lock timing on cold starts etc. They will probably get bigger blowers in the future.

i don’t think locked timing is the best option. That’s where a box like Daytona comes in handy. With delayed starting, idle stabilazation, and custom curves. Don’t think it’s necessarily a good idea to have 36° of timing coming on plane. You can get defiemiely get a better tune to the engine with a custom setup