Aftermarket Ignition >

Aftermarket Ignition

Notices

Aftermarket Ignition

Old 01-20-2019, 03:06 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Aftermarket Ignition

What are the thoughts on best aftermarket ignition? Of course we have MSD I am also hearing good things about CD-1. Any of the pro's out there have thoughts? I am looking to do full system to include coils and distributors.
Old 01-20-2019, 04:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Good time to buy ecu and coil packs and you can go fuel injection later on. Just a thought.
Old 01-20-2019, 04:40 PM
Registered

Received 410 Likes on 183 Posts

DUi
Old 01-20-2019, 07:00 PM
Registered

Received 1,493 Likes on 807 Posts

The old school thunderbolt works fine with rarely hearing of failures but with that said I was starting from scratch and purchased some DUI's for the simplicity and again very reliable and good for practically any NA build within reason. Many including myself have went the Daytona sensors route for reliability over over the MSD. Not to mention you can map out your timing curve to your specific build. Ideal for SC or NA and I've yet to hear of a failure. If you go MSD plan on keeping an extra ign box onboard. Plus the distributors corrode quickly unless you coat them with crc or something similar.

In a nutshell I guess it depends on what your doing or have for power and where you might plan on going in the future. DUI is hard to beat for the price, simplicity and reliability. If your looking at over 650 hp go the Daytona sensor route. Your engines will like it.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by getrdunn
The old school thunderbolt works fine with rarely hearing of failures but with that said I was starting from scratch and purchased some DUI's for the simplicity and again very reliable and good for practically any NA build within reason. Many including myself have went the Daytona sensors route for reliability over over the MSD. Not to mention you can map out your timing curve to your specific build. Ideal for SC or NA and I've yet to hear of a failure. If you go MSD plan on keeping an extra ign box onboard. Plus the distributors corrode quickly unless you coat them with crc or something similar.

In a nutshell I guess it depends on what your doing or have for power and where you might plan on going in the future. DUI is hard to beat for the price, simplicity and reliability. If your looking at over 650 hp go the Daytona sensor route. Your engines will like it.
They are Hawk 525SC's it would be nice to lock timing on cold starts etc. They will probably get bigger blowers in the future.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:18 PM
Registered

Received 253 Likes on 101 Posts

ive got daytona cd-1 ignitions. work great ,no problems. why would you buy MSD when they are nothing but problems for so many of us?
Old 01-20-2019, 08:23 PM
Registered

Received 1,493 Likes on 807 Posts

Originally Posted by SABER28
ive got daytona cd-1 ignitions. work great ,no problems. why would you buy MSD when they are nothing but problems for so many of us?
Here ya go. Btw OT ck out the old thread that recently got ttt. Good info especially for your SC builds.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:36 PM
Registered

Received 1,207 Likes on 580 Posts

Out of curiosity, what is the obsession with DUI distributors? They seem to be a non programmable overpriced HEI ignition. What is its superiority to a thunderbolt ignition? Am I missing something? I run Crane HI-6M's and T-Bolt distributors, nothing fancy, just dependable and have 8 or so different timing curves with knock retard. I have Daytona ignitions laying around, but haven't felt the need to switch yet. Probably when I finally go forced induction I'll switch.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SABER28
That's why I'm asking!
Old 01-20-2019, 11:17 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by RBeyer
They are Hawk 525SC's it would be nice to lock timing on cold starts etc. They will probably get bigger blowers in the future.
i don’t think locked timing is the best option. That’s where a box like Daytona comes in handy. With delayed starting, idle stabilazation, and custom curves. Don’t think it’s necessarily a good idea to have 36° of timing coming on plane. You can get defiemiely get a better tune to the engine with a custom setup

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.