Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Hey guys got a 35 cig. Twin blown 540s. Carb problems. >

Hey guys got a 35 cig. Twin blown 540s. Carb problems.

Notices

Hey guys got a 35 cig. Twin blown 540s. Carb problems.

Old 01-25-2019, 05:50 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've run several blower setups, like some said before, TIMING, I would lock the advance, run 28, with the low compression of the blower motors starting should not be a issue and the more base will help the idle.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:27 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

Check the position of your throttle plates as well. If you are uncovering the idle circuit slot you will need to drill a small hole in them to get more air. I have a really big cam and I do a lot of river cruising, spent a lot of time experimenting with timing and carb adjustments. I'm running an MSD ignition and played with different springs and bushings and finally locked the distributor. I also made sure that primary and secondary throttle plates were aligned in the idle circuit slot. I also set the throttle plates so they were 60/40 to the primary. With a real lumpy cam using a vacuum gauge is tuff, I adjusted the idles circuit based on max rpm with a digital gauge. My idle speed in neutral is 1000rpm and 700rpm in gear, with my cam that's the best I can do. Out of everything I did, the timing was the biggest deal. With a 10:1 motor and 35 degrees of timing, I get the motor spinning before I hit the gas to start it. It does start fast set up this way. I once ran the batteries down to the point it would only crank one compression stroke. I pumped the throttles lightly to give it a little gas and quickly hit the key and let go so it would return to run before it completed the compression cycle and it started. It's not like an EFI motor but it runs so good now I wouldn't switch. I can run over an hour down the river and no gas smell no soot, it's the cleanest running motor I've ever had. Have patience, I spent several seasons tweaking it until I got it perfect.
Old 01-26-2019, 02:48 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by redstinger312
so it idles good, minimal hunt, runs great but has bad docking manners. If we put it in gear it stalls. You have to be right on top of the throttles to keep it going. Air mixture screws are 1 and 1/2 out all four corners. Still lean??? Try 2 and 1/2???
you need to fine tune the air bleeds on top of the carbs, if you don't have those you DO NOT have the proper carbs
Old 01-26-2019, 02:49 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ThisIsLivin
Check the position of your throttle plates as well. If you are uncovering the idle circuit slot you will need to drill a small hole in them to get more air. I have a really big cam and I do a lot of river cruising, spent a lot of time experimenting with timing and carb adjustments. I'm running an MSD ignition and played with different springs and bushings and finally locked the distributor. I also made sure that primary and secondary throttle plates were aligned in the idle circuit slot. I also set the throttle plates so they were 60/40 to the primary. With a real lumpy cam using a vacuum gauge is tuff, I adjusted the idles circuit based on max rpm with a digital gauge. My idle speed in neutral is 1000rpm and 700rpm in gear, with my cam that's the best I can do. Out of everything I did, the timing was the biggest deal. With a 10:1 motor and 35 degrees of timing, I get the motor spinning before I hit the gas to start it. It does start fast set up this way. I once ran the batteries down to the point it would only crank one compression stroke. I pumped the throttles lightly to give it a little gas and quickly hit the key and let go so it would return to run before it completed the compression cycle and it started. It's not like an EFI motor but it runs so good now I wouldn't switch. I can run over an hour down the river and no gas smell no soot, it's the cleanest running motor I've ever had. Have patience, I spent several seasons tweaking it until I got it perfect.
true that!! must balance idle blade angle at front and rear to ensure the fuel slot isn't bypassed
Old 01-26-2019, 05:52 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem last year, tried ignition and other stuff, I end up stepping back. Set the ignition back to stock 10* with stunt in, I then set the primary throttle plates where they should be, changed the secondary throttle plate adjuster screw so it was easy to adjust.

between adjusting the secondary throttle plate and idle mixture screw I could idle at 850 out of gear and 750 in gear all day long. Took around three hours to find the sweet spot