Header drain tubes? >

Header drain tubes?

Notices

Header drain tubes?

Old 02-05-2019, 07:01 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 251 Likes on 126 Posts

Is this like a saltwater thing or something?? I'm just thinking that if you have good headers what would the point of this be other than winterizing?? Maybe I missed something
Old 02-05-2019, 07:36 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by BBYSTWY
Is this like a saltwater thing or something?? I'm just thinking that if you have good headers what would the point of this be other than winterizing?? Maybe I missed something
I boat in freshwater, the only reason I am thinking about this is incase a header develops a leak. If a leak develops during the season, most of the water will drain out vs draining into the engine. Outside of that, there is no point in it for me. Even then, I'm not sure there is a point in it, which is why I was asking what other do or don't do.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:47 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 251 Likes on 126 Posts

I gotcha...I was just confused lol...to me I wouldn't do it because in my simple mind you would just be masking a problem with this wouldn't it?? Not trying to start an argument or anything like that...just seems to me if a header was leaking it should be fixed or replaced instead of limping it along with this?? Idk maybe I'm way off base here??
Old 02-05-2019, 07:58 AM
Registered

Received 292 Likes on 138 Posts

I would def ad the header drains. I drained my headers after I flushed the engines every time I used the boat. If anything, its piece of mind knowing that when you turn the key after weeks of sitting, the engine isn't going to be siezed up or hydro lock from water sitting in a cylinder.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:09 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by BBYSTWY
I gotcha...I was just confused lol...to me I wouldn't do it because in my simple mind you would just be masking a problem with this wouldn't it?? Not trying to start an argument or anything like that...just seems to me if a header was leaking it should be fixed or replaced instead of limping it along with this?? Idk maybe I'm way off base here??
It's not for a header you know is leaking, it's an insurance policy IF a header leaks and you are not aware of it.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by endeavour32
It's not for a header you know is leaking, it's an insurance policy IF a header leaks and you are not aware of it.
I agree, header leaks will happen, fresh water or salt water. Leak testing the headers is still important to do from time to time. So if you happen to spring a leak between checks and are draining them religiously, you may make it to the next leak test without engine damage. If a header leaks into the engine enough to cause hydrolock, there are a number of serious issues that could result.

My concern with an automatic drain is having a fail-safe or some kind of feedback to know water isn't draining while running the engine. I assume the easiest method is using a solenoid that normally closes the valve and only energizes to hold it open. For those that have figured this out, what solenoids are reliable? I'm interested in a time delay kit and would like to implement this winter on mine, just need to understand what the failure modes are.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:48 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I like the idea of draining just so water isn't sitting in the bottom. My issue is how can you go overboard since it is LOW in the bilge. I would have to just dump in the hull and let bilge pumps handle as I couldn't put through-hull low enough?
Old 02-17-2019, 08:59 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by endeavour32
I boat in freshwater, the only reason I am thinking about this is incase a header develops a leak. If a leak develops during the season, most of the water will drain out vs draining into the engine. Outside of that, there is no point in it for me. Even then, I'm not sure there is a point in it, which is why I was asking what other do or don't do.
I totally recommend for winter storage NOT to have anti freeze or any fluid or any water in the exhaust system / headers / manifolds / risers apps. They can leak at anytime in return dumping AF into the cylinders. Had 3 last year and basically every year have a min of one.

In my area we have the craziest weather one day it can be 85 and the next day 15 degrees at any giving time during the winter months.