Ignition Wiring Help >

Ignition Wiring Help

Notices

Ignition Wiring Help

Old 02-24-2019, 08:32 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Ignition Wiring Help

I'm wiring up my ignition switches. I WAS going to get 12v for the ignition form the fuse panel but now I'm re-thinking that approach. I'm planning to run all of my port gauges and the port engine off of the port battery and same with starboard. If the port battery is dead, the port engine is dead until I change the perko switch.

I have run the 'house' / fuse panel from the starboard battery.

So, if I pull ignition power from the fuse panel, both engines would have ignition power from the starboard battery. I *THINK* I need to pull power to the ignition switch from each respective battery?
Old 02-25-2019, 07:21 AM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

Always best if asking a question about a motor, to tell us what motor.

Don't pull ignition power from the fuse panel, it needs to come from the motor. Assuming this is a BBC and a Merc for the 80 Velocity, and your doing a complete rewire, use the pic for gauge cluster. If your using a carb motor and electric fuel pump can post that later

Old 02-26-2019, 07:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by AllDodge
Always best if asking a question about a motor, to tell us what motor.

Don't pull ignition power from the fuse panel, it needs to come from the motor. Assuming this is a BBC and a Merc for the 80 Velocity, and your doing a complete rewire, use the pic for gauge cluster. If your using a carb motor and electric fuel pump can post that later

Twin 427cid Small Block Chevys with Merctrans and TRS. I am learning from your response and am thinking it would be best to run power to ignition switch from the perko switch that feeds the motors. Basically it would be the same thing as sending from the positive battery connection on the starter to the ignition switch. This way, the right motor is always feeding the right ignition switch.

Thanks!
Old 02-26-2019, 07:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ttrm007
Twin 427cid Small Block Chevys with Merctrans and TRS. I am learning from your response and am thinking it would be best to run power to ignition switch from the perko switch that feeds the motors. Basically it would be the same thing as sending from the positive battery connection on the starter to the ignition switch. This way, the right motor is always feeding the right ignition switch.

Thanks!
Do not agree
Also guess I'm missing something, but unable to find a 427 Merc

Power should come from the battery switch, to the main post on the starter.
The power from the starter goes thru a 50 amp breaker n the motor then thru the 10 pin engine connector via a red/purple wire, via a 20 amp fuse, and then up to the ignition switch

Now if this is old enough the wire colors will change
Old 02-28-2019, 07:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by AllDodge
Do not agree
Also guess I'm missing something, but unable to find a 427 Merc

Power should come from the battery switch, to the main post on the starter.
The power from the starter goes thru a 50 amp breaker n the motor then thru the 10 pin engine connector via a red/purple wire, via a 20 amp fuse, and then up to the ignition switch

Now if this is old enough the wire colors will change
This isn’t really a Merc. I’m building this boat essentially from scratch. I build the motors to this spec. Certainly nothing merc ever offered. I’m wiring completely from scratch. I don’t have a 10 pin connector as I’m making all wiring harnesses myself. I am trying to follow wire color standards, etc...

I do have the breakers on starters. Makes sense to pull ignition power from here. I can put a 20amp inline fuse as well. One more wire on my engine plug/harness I guess.

thanks for responses. You can see more on build in velocity forum if interested. 1980 30’ redo or something like that. As you will see, this is like a 12 year project haha.
Old 02-28-2019, 08:23 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You might save your self some time and also be able to simplify things by using the Mercruiser wiring system, Here's where you can by harnesses all made up. https://bpi.ebasicpower.com/shop/mer...volvo-crusader
Old 03-02-2019, 06:58 AM
Registered

Agree use Merc type setup