Looking for BUP >

Looking for BUP

Notices

Looking for BUP

Old 04-13-2019, 01:59 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Looking for BUP

Currently have twin 496ho 2003. Little over 500 hrs. Motors run perfect, no miss, correct rpms, seem to be getting sooting only out of starboard motor portside. I could see it on my steering ram. Think it may just be a plugs and wires fix? I an no stranger to sooted up transoms my old ride had procharged 502s, sooting was a constant battle. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Like the stock motor life style
Old 04-13-2019, 05:21 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

current fresh fuel is best to use - not 3 to 6 month lay up fuel... Next - fuel pressure testing ? - spark plugs and wires -- especially if you have the original spark plug wires.

Scan the engine - operating temps at the scan are ? MAP sensor readings when scanning ? and of course fuel injector SERVICE is a must with any 496 - they suffer from contamination issues. They are good injectors but the crap they collect is unreal.

I have spark plugs and all Brand NEW wire sets for all 496 s. We actually are redoing the 496 s spark plug wires because I am so picky that I wanted the best EMI / RFI suppression that is not offered in any other plug wire.

The spark plugs I have are GAPPED correctly, its a fine wire and priced really well. Ready to install. I carry 600 spark plugs for the 496 s inwhich I get a price break on. I do not use the AC Delco spark plugss for anything.

If still rich / sooty the intake manifold GASKETS gen 1 design was not good - the gen 2 IM gaskets is way better for sealing and holding that seal over time.

Last edited by BUP; 04-13-2019 at 07:07 PM.
Old 04-13-2019, 06:24 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for your input, I will be reaching out to you for plugs and wires in the near future, busy travel schedule for the next month.