How often do you change your motor oil?

Notices

How often do you change your motor oil?

Old 11-05-2002, 02:40 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Dennis,
I just changed my oil and installed a Fram PH5, which is on a HP500 stock oil thermostat which mounted horizontally as you know. I'm thinking that I'm should go buy a HP4 or HP5 and swap it our before I go boating this weekend. I really don't like the idea of low/no oil pressure until the oil filter refills.
What do you think?
Thanks for the great info. and heads up about this potential problem.
BTW, I loaned my neighbor your book, "Big-Block Chevy Marine Performance" and he loves it.
Dean

Last edited by Dean Ferry; 11-05-2002 at 02:43 PM.
Old 11-05-2002, 03:15 PM
rv
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Dennis,
From your testing of filters are you saying that the PF25/PF35 don't have anti drain back valves? What about the PF1218.

I cut open a Merc filter and the only thing I saw was a rubber type material that layed across circular series of holes. Is this the anti drain back valve. I believe the PF1218 and PF454 have this as well. Do you agree.

Finally, are you aware of the part # for a filter in the AC line that meets this criteria and is about the same height as the standard Merc filter.

Very informative info., can't wait for that months issue to arrive.

Thanks,
Rick
Old 11-06-2002, 09:21 AM
ursus

Interesting,, but rather I would think this makes a case for changing your mount to a vertical style so you can use a decent filter, the FRAM's run 5 degrees hotter oil temp at wot in my experiance

Old 11-06-2002, 09:51 AM
ursus

Lightbulb

What would be really great is to see a real technical article on something like Oil filters, you know take 10 dif brands cut them open compare a dozen different features , and test them in real world for flow, max oil temp, sensitivity to condensation (does condensation plug them up after idleing thru the channel for 30 min and open the bypass) then send away a sample to analyze the oil for particulates after the 1/2 hour idle and maybe 1 hour hard run.

P.S. the napa Golds also have anti drain back valve. They are made by Wix I think and so the wixs prob do to but I am not sure, anyone ever cut open a WIX can enlighten us maybe?

Old 11-06-2002, 03:50 PM
rv
Registered

Can anyone answer this question for me on AC filters.

Does a PF25/PF35 have anti drain back valves? What about the PF1218.

I cut open a Merc filter and the only thing I saw was a rubber type material that layed across circular series of holes. Is this the anti drain back valve. I believe the PF1218 and PF454 have this as well. Do you agree.

Finally, are you aware of the part # for a filter in the AC line that meets this criteria and is about the same height as the standard Merc filter.
Old 11-06-2002, 04:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RV,
YES...the rubber material covering the holes is the anti-drainback valve. it's not sophisticated and it's not much of a "valve" but it does work!
Old 11-06-2002, 04:53 PM
Apache22

every 10hrs, HP4 with either Valvoline or Kendell 20w50

Old 11-07-2002, 07:44 AM
rv
Registered

Dave,
Thanks for the reply.
Old 11-08-2002, 04:27 PM
Dennis Moore

Default Oil Filters

RV,
Sorry it took so long to get back to you but I was in Las Vegas at the SEMA show looking at all the latest high performance parts for the magazine.
The PF25, PF35 and PF 932 do not have oil drain back valves and I have yet to find a Chevy filter of any kind other than the Fram HP and the Mercruiser brand filter that have the anti drain back valve.
Don't be so concerned about buying an AC Filter anymore (like I have always been). I recently found out that they are not made by AC Delco anymore but are made by an aftermarket company and are of the exact same quality as everyone elses aftermarket filter. I believe they are made by Champion Labs.
They are identical to many other filters on the market and look exactly like the Mercruiser filter but without an antidrainback valve.
I have always gone out of my way to buy AC Delco products believing them to be the best. I recently read in a trade magazine that AC Delco is now only a wharehouse distributing products that have the AC Delco logo and that they manufacture almost nothing anymore. That was really disappointing for me to read!
Sincerely
Dennis Moore
FAMILY AND PERFORMANCE BOATING MAGAZINE

Old 11-08-2002, 04:30 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not just buy Mercruiser filters?

Quick Reply: How often do you change your motor oil?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.