Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Motor Issues, Pulled Plugs and Look Unused? >

Motor Issues, Pulled Plugs and Look Unused?

Notices

Motor Issues, Pulled Plugs and Look Unused?

Old 06-20-2019, 11:36 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Bump.

Im in Italy on vacation, but called the shop. I was hoping to have it diagnosed and repaired by the time I get back next week, but it’s not looking good and the news is bad.

You guys are right in that it’s a valve issue. The shop is saying it’s cylinder #2 valves. They will pull the motor to pull off the head to see how bad it is.

Any opinions?

Old 06-20-2019, 11:49 AM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by AWOL
Bump.

Im in Italy on vacation, but called the shop. I was hoping to have it diagnosed and repaired by the time I get back next week, but it’s not looking good and the news is bad.

You guys are right in that it’s a valve issue. The shop is saying it’s cylinder #2 valves. They will pull the motor to pull off the head to see how bad it is.

Any opinions?

Stay in Italy.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:00 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,050 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
it could be valves adjusted to tight,that can cause water reversion because the exhaust valve doe,s not close all the way.even if only one exhaust valve is set to tight a small amount of reversion can happen.
As Mike stated, might rerun the valves before pulling the engine
Old 06-21-2019, 03:25 PM
Registered

They are pulling the valve cover for inspection first, but I’ve only had WiFi and no calls possible. I don’t get back to the real world until next Wednesday. Maybe I’m optimistic due to not hearing anything major (knocking, pinging, full devestation) while running it that maybe it’s just a broken valve spring?

Is that even possible without any damage to the piston/cylinder/pushrods? The leak down test they did suggested exhaust valve.
Old 06-21-2019, 05:36 PM
Registered

On second thought, never mind. Wouldn’t the leak down test apply enough pressure to seat the valve and no air to escape (assuming the broken valve spring idea)?

I guess I’ll have to wait.