Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Wet transom, okay to run for one season? >

Wet transom, okay to run for one season?

Like Tree18Likes

Wet transom, okay to run for one season?

Old 06-07-2019, 03:08 AM
Registered

Default Wet transom, okay to run for one season?

So long story short, the transom is wet in my Formula 292 Fastech. My question is, would it be wise to run it for just this season and then have it rebuilt in the offseason? I ask because I have already paid for my slip (just over $3k). What would everyone suggest?
Old 06-07-2019, 03:26 AM
Registered

Wet and still mostly solid run it. Many people who have no clue are running around with wet and rotten transoms. Lol
Old 06-07-2019, 03:57 AM
Registered

I’d be nervous. If you do run it keep a close eye on it. Check for extra water in the bilge etc.
Griff, DBleil89 and Franks292 like this.
Old 06-07-2019, 04:00 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Crude Intentions View Post
Wet and still mostly solid run it. Many people who have no clue are running around with wet and rotten transoms. Lol
I had no idea it was wet until I drilled into it to mount the hydraulic steering. Some of the wood is still dry but alot of it is wet. As far as the hammer test goes, it hasnt started to delaminate.
And i was definitely guilty of that, my old scarab had a wet transom and stringers and I had no idea until the engine mounts ripped out.
Old 06-07-2019, 04:03 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by IGetWet View Post
Id be nervous. If you do run it keep a close eye on it. Check for extra water in the bilge etc.
My theory is exhaust water leaked between the transom and the hose (you can see the water marks). I never had any water in the bilge last season. Boat never sits in the water, always on a trailer or hydro-hoist. And heck yeah I'm nervous.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:33 AM
Registered

There is a wet transom and a rotted transom. As stated, many people have run a lot of boats with no idea that the boat was in dire need of rebuilding.

Is the transom flexing on the drives? If it is to any extent, you are on the sidelines until it can be rebuilt - in current condition, you are the only one that knows the extent of what you seen and carry that risk..

When you attached the steering, did the transom mounts compress the hull as the bolts were tightened?
articfriends likes this.
Old 06-07-2019, 07:47 AM
Registered

I had a '67 Formula 233 that the transom was SO rotted, the hydraulic steering ram visibly flexed the transom....
I added an additional inner and outer plate.. Ran it for TWO years with NO issues...

Old 06-07-2019, 07:56 AM
Registered

Good check, pull the drive and see if the motor is still in alignment. Wet transom means rotted stringers a lot of times and if you are out of alignment it will trash the coupler.
Boatally Insane and Knot 4 Me like this.
Old 06-07-2019, 10:16 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Your 292's stringers are all fiberglass so nothing to worry about there.

Transom... wet is a whole lot different than rotted. Most boats will have some degree of moisture in the transom. It's probably not done for yet, though you will need to keep an eye on it, and eventually, address it at some point. To gauge how bad the issue is, you can take some small core samples from around the area that you found wet wood. If it's small, you may be able to dry it out, and flood those areas with thinned epoxy to stop the process. I would definitely find the source of the water intrusion and correct it as soon as possible.
Franks292 likes this.
Old 06-07-2019, 10:32 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Franks292 View Post
I had no idea it was wet until I drilled into it to mount the hydraulic steering. Some of the wood is still dry but alot of it is wet. As far as the hammer test goes, it hasnt started to delaminate.
And i was definitely guilty of that, my old scarab had a wet transom and stringers and I had no idea until the engine mounts ripped out.
Scarab is French for wet transom. "Oh wee, wee...you appear to have a Scarab!"
Franks292 likes this.

OSO Sponsor
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

OSO Advertiser