Raw water pump/fuel pump

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Catchme

Raw water pump/fuel pump

Old 07-03-2019, 07:54 AM
Registered

My Boat: Hydrolift S-24
Default Raw water pump/fuel pump

running an electric fuel pump the old mechanical fuel pump is removed and blocked. Problem is the house congaining oil for lunricating the cam for the old fuel pump is leaking. Not avle to locate where it excesses, my first idea was to refill. Question is; does the oil lubricate the bearings for the waterpump also?
In that case it will eventually fail as the huose runs out of oil, or does the oil only lubricate the cam and fuel pump?
Normally I would adress the problem in a better way, and replacing the pump, but Pokerrun this weekend😎
Old 07-28-2019, 01:30 PM
Registered

My Boat: '96 Baja 302 O/S

Did you find your leak? Mine's leaking too but not coming from the pulley side seal, fill plug nor impeller side. Obviously the mech. fuel pump gasket is next but I just installed new FP about 1 year ago so the gasket is new. Wondering if the housings can crack?

Keith
Old 07-28-2019, 02:20 PM
Registered

Still havent investigated.... replaced oil with grease, but still spilling in engine bay. My guess is also if the house can crack?
will post reply when solved👍
Tractionless likes this.
Old 07-28-2019, 03:12 PM
Registered

My Boat: 94 Formula 27PC 509, 95 232 Rinker 454

Question is; does the oil lubricate the bearings for the waterpump also?
In that case it will eventually fail as the huose runs out of oil, or does the oil only lubricate the cam and fuel pump?
The oil (outdrive gear lube) lubes the bearings, cam and seals. Since your leaking the water will damage the bearings if it has not already. There easy to rebuild if you have a press handy, have done several
Old 07-28-2019, 03:46 PM
Registered

Not leaking water, only lube....
Old 07-28-2019, 03:48 PM
Registered

My Boat: 94 Formula 27PC 509, 95 232 Rinker 454

Oh, ok thanks
Old 07-29-2019, 09:27 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

My Boat: Chris Craft Stinger 222

if you are leaking only the gear lube then i would say its coming from the front shaft seal behind the pulley. You would need to pull the pulley off....then pull the seal out and replace it then press the pulley back on. And if you are all ready there you may as well just go the distance and replace the bearings for good measure. Here's a tutorial for ya: https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/...el-pump-2.html

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 07-29-2019, 09:31 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

My Boat: Chris Craft Stinger 222

Oh... i forgot there is actually a weep hole on the body as well right at the back end near the pump side...when looking at the fill port on the pump right below the fuel pump...look straight back to the pump side near the flange area and you should see a small hole there....could be leaking there too...either way its the seals

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 07-31-2019, 12:18 PM
Registered

My Boat: '96 Baja 302 O/S

Huh, just saw that weep hole in an online pic. I'll have to search for it on the boat.

I found the lift pump bolts installed just over a year ago were 1/4 turn loose. I assume the gasket lost its squish and that's where my leak was coming from as I started the engine, ran for 10 mins. And its no longer leaking.

If I ever need a replacement I'm going with ebay item #312189926077 as it has sealed bearings that don't use the gear fluid as bearing lube. Also has a drain plug that allows removal of the old fluid much easier than my single plug unit.