Mercruiser Crank No Start With Code 41 >

Mercruiser Crank No Start With Code 41

Like Tree0Likes

Mercruiser Crank No Start With Code 41

Old 07-04-2019, 04:31 PM
Registered

My Boat: 2001 Sanger V210
Default Mercruiser Crank No Start With Code 41

So I could really use some help here. Iíve searched far and wide and havenít been able to solve my problem. First the basics... My boat is a fully stock 2001 Sanger V210 with a Mercruiser 5.7 black scorpion serial number 0L676775. It has MEFI 3 and the GM EST distributer. Iíve never had any issues with it. I was out on the lake with it running fine. Stopped to swim and when I when to start it up, it would crank but not start. Got towed in and have need testing and replacing parts for 3 weeks now with no luck. I am not getting spark unless I disconnect the 4 pin connector on the distributor. So far I tried 3 new ignition coils, 2 new ignition modules, 1 new pick up coil, new distributor cap and rotor. And finally I replaced the entire distributor just to be sure. I keep getting DTC code 41 for an open ignition control circuit (CKT 423 white wire). My resistance in the circuit is about 145 ohms but the GM MEFI 3 manual says it should be 3000-6000. I canít see what is causing the discrepancy. Like I stated, Iíve replaced all parts that should affect that circuit. Iím not sure if that issue is causing the crank no start issue or if itís just a symptom. Additionally, when I crank it as soon as I let off the key it starts coughing like it wants to start. There have been instances when reconnected the tach where it will cycle to full RPM and back down and repeat while cranking... bizarre. I have followed mercruiser manual 24 and disconnected the tach, MAP and TPS with various results. Iíve checked all the wiring and canít find a short. If I disconnect the 4 pin connector on the distributor and feed it starting fluid it will run but as soon as the 4 pin connector is attached it dies. At this point Iím wondering if itís a bad ECM. Hopefully I havenít left anything out. Please help!!!!

Nick
Old 07-04-2019, 05:53 PM
Registered

Well I put the original ignition control module back on and I got the appropriate resistance (5500+-) so according to the flow chart itís the ECM unless one of you have any words of wisdom...

Nick
Old 07-04-2019, 06:00 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My Boat: F2 Speed racer

with the key on does the ecm trigger the fuel pump to prime ? make sure you are using the heat transfer goop under the ignition module, someone had a similar issue a couple weeks ago you might do a search.
Old 07-04-2019, 06:03 PM
Registered

Thanks for the reply. The fuel system is running properly as far as I can tell. I searched but couldnít find anything. If you could link to the thread Iíd be most appreciative. Iíd love to get this fixed and on the lake ASAP.

Nick
Old 07-04-2019, 06:05 PM
Registered

More clearly, yes the pump is priming and I used the goop.

Nick

Originally Posted by F-2 Speedy View Post
with the key on does the ecm trigger the fuel pump to prime ? make sure you are using the heat transfer goop under the ignition module, someone had a similar issue a couple weeks ago you might do a search.
Old 07-04-2019, 06:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

have you checked the battery voltage at the engine
Old 07-04-2019, 06:09 PM
Registered

Yup. Voltage is at least 12 volts. Pulling my hair out.

Nick
Old 07-04-2019, 06:40 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

is that while cranking or just key on....Id think..13.5 to 13.8
Old 07-04-2019, 06:44 PM
Registered

I believe itís been reading 13.5 to 13.8+- Iíd have to double check if necessary. Iíve been keeping the batteries fully charged. Iím confident itís not the batteries. The engine turns over just like it always has.

Nick
Old 07-04-2019, 08:16 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

My Boat: 17' Speedliner Cat & O.P.B.

Engine/Ignition Kill Switch test fine?
Neutral Safety Switch test fine?

OSO Sponsor
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser