Advice on steering hose >

Advice on steering hose

Notices

Advice on steering hose

Old 07-08-2019, 07:49 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Advice on steering hose

I have been running dual ram imco steering with the Brazilian valve since last season. I used the 1000 psi -6 an stainless hose and fittings on the rams and everything is working great. I am getting ready to go full power with the char-lynn helm and factory gen V power steering pump. What is the pressure output from the helm to the rams? Cannot seem to get a solid answer and do not want to blow a line. Merc used a rubber hose rated at 1125 psi from the pump to the steering rod, however it must be overrated compared to the 1000 psi rating on the -6 an line.
Old 07-18-2019, 07:05 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say 2000psi lines with pressed on fittings, ones I did used a local hyd hose co to make all of them up...not cheap but pump pressure can be well over 1000psi. I tried the Harden kit a while back, used their hose and you put together fittings, 2 blew off quickly changed to the hoses I mentioned and never looked back. Will say this make sure when mounting the helm assy that the back side of the dash is flat and NO bind on it at all, if any will drive badly
Old 07-18-2019, 07:09 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 58 Posts

Mayfair instructions state that hoses/connections should be pressure tested to 2000 psi before install. Not saying I did that but....
Old 07-18-2019, 12:36 PM
Registered

OK, here is what I did. I used -6 AN lines for the R & L and return line. Used PTFE from the pump to the Char-Lynn. So far so good, worked fine on the hose. Going to test this weekend.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:45 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

Be careful running the helm to full lock, that's when the pressure spikes. GM pumps can hit 1200psi when dead headed so be careful. I bought a kit from Paul Everitt with a mandrel and bulk hose and fittings. The key is getting the mandrel to put the hose ends on. I did my system 3 or 4 years ago and it's been fantastic.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ThisIsLivin
Be careful running the helm to full lock, that's when the pressure spikes. GM pumps can hit 1200psi when dead headed so be careful. I bought a kit from Paul Everitt with a mandrel and bulk hose and fittings. The key is getting the mandrel to put the hose ends on. I did my system 3 or 4 years ago and it's been fantastic.
Failure, blew a hose off just like you said. Does not like to go past the lock position. Need to get a regulator or switch out hoses.
Old 07-21-2019, 09:02 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by jeffswav
Failure, blew a hose off just like you said. Does not like to go past the lock position. Need to get a regulator or switch out hoses.
switch hoses, you are on the edge and will blow the hose off again. The hoses will be cheaper than the regulator anyway.
Old 07-22-2019, 04:38 PM
Registered

I switched out the R and L hose from the Helm to the Tee fitting with 2500 psi lines. Cycled it right and left several times and held it in the lock position for several seconds. No hose issues. Still concerned about the crossover hoses and ram hoses that are 1000 PSI -6 AN. No leaks at all on any of the fittings. Thinking about changing out the valve on the power steering pump to a lower pressure bypass. Any suggestions?

Last edited by jeffswav; 07-22-2019 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Detail
Old 07-23-2019, 07:12 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by jeffswav
I switched out the R and L hose from the Helm to the Tee fitting with 2500 psi lines. Cycled it right and left several times and held it in the lock position for several seconds. No hose issues. Still concerned about the crossover hoses and ram hoses that are 1000 PSI -6 AN. No leaks at all on any of the fittings. Thinking about changing out the valve on the power steering pump to a lower pressure bypass. Any suggestions?
Change the hoses. If you ever have an issue with the pump you can get one anywhere. I used to design hydraulic systems, I've heard stories of pinhole leaks developing in hoses that sprayed high pressure oil mist that ignited. If that happens to you, you won't have time to grab a life jacket. Your boat will be gone in seconds.