Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Replacement horn...is nothing simple? >

Replacement horn...is nothing simple?

Notices

Replacement horn...is nothing simple?

Old 08-08-2019, 11:31 AM
Registered

Received 303 Likes on 152 Posts
Default Replacement horn...is nothing simple?

I have a 1988 Formula 311 SR-1 and the horns sounded anemic so I ordered (what looked like) the closest replacements I could find. There was no connection diagram with the Seadog horns but the the hull has two sets of paired wires coming out so I snipped them and hooked the replacement horns up (as the "original" horns were hooked up). (Picture below)

When I pushed the horn button all I heard was an electronic noise/click but no real horn sound. I assumed that maybe the horns had a polarity issue, so I tried a couple of combinations. I discovered that when I hooked only on of the horns up (to either set of wires coming out of the hull) it worked as it should (so individually they both work)...but when I hooked both horns up to either one wire (coming out of the hull) or to separate wires coming out of the hull...NOTHING (But the click/electronic noise).
Any suggestions?
Could the horns be drawing to many amps from the "tired" electricals...I will say that the wiring looks in great shape.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Tom
Old 08-08-2019, 03:41 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

Use a voltmeter and find out if your getting any voltage and how much
Old 08-08-2019, 05:37 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by AllDodge
Use a voltmeter and find out if your getting any voltage and how much
Good idea...
I checked the horns by hooking them both directly to 12V (my truck battery)...and they sounded fine.
I will check for sure BUT I believe both wires coming out of the boat hull have enough voltage to run either horn but not both horns...so I THINK its some sort of amp draw issue or some current restriction???
I pulled and reset the circuit breaker for the horn circuit (thinking that it might not be at 100%)...but that did not help the situation.
I am always stumped by electrical stuff...as a mechanical engineering student, I had to take one electrical class (TWICE)!
Old 08-08-2019, 05:45 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

Many times the boat manufactures use to small a wire to carry the load, but knowing what the voltage is during activation will indicate what the issue would be
Old 08-08-2019, 06:01 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

No post.

Last edited by shunter2005; 08-08-2019 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Error posting
Old 08-08-2019, 06:26 PM
Registered

Received 792 Likes on 447 Posts

Undersized wires, multiple splices added over time and a bit of corrosion can greatly reduce the voltage actually getting to the accessory - in this case your horns
Old 08-08-2019, 07:16 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,105 Likes on 1,399 Posts

Plus, hunk of schit bottom of the barrel manufacturing.

Replaced my horn with a Hella. Good company right ? Lasted the test 'blow' and that's it. Checked reviews on Amazon and that's what most reviews said. Doh !
Old 08-08-2019, 08:20 PM
Registered

Thanks all!
Old 08-09-2019, 02:18 PM
Registered

Newest information...I get 13+ volts out of each wire when the horn button is depressed.
Also, as I have stated, each horn works individually on either wire coming out of the boat hull BUT when I connect both up I get a kind of electric "thump" and no horn noise. However, when I have one horn hooked up and I depress the horn button (and the single horn works)...WHILE continuing to depress the horn button, if I attach the second set of wires to the horn, I get both horns working as designed/desired. If I let the horn button go and retry it...nothing.
Its like the first horn has to be up and running before the 2nd horn will work.
I hypothesize that the initial amp draw of the two horns simultaneously is to much for some component of the distribution???
Next, I will try jumpering across the horn button to see if that is the weak link...any other suggestions out there?
Thanks,Tom
Old 08-09-2019, 02:22 PM
Registered

delete duplicate

Last edited by F14A water jet; 08-09-2019 at 02:24 PM. Reason: delete duplicate

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.